PDA

View Full Version : Profit amount on trades ?

Moe
August 5th 06, 01:25 PM
Just wondering, if a person buys say, 40,000 worth of stock for a
trade what would be a good amount to consider the profit worth while?
200? 300? 400? Commissions are 10.00 in and 10.00 out for 20 bucks total.
Not on margin. What would most traders consider a fair amount to
make on a trade this size? I realize it matters how the markets move
and all that, and it can vary a lot, but I'm wondering when a person
enters a trade what percentage they usually consider a take it now profit?
I shoot for 3/4 to 1% but take what I can when it's a profit. Is
this to high?

Blash
August 5th 06, 02:01 PM
wrote on 8/5/06 8:25 AM:

> I shoot for 3/4 to 1% but take what I can when it's a profit. Is
> this to high?

No.....it's not too high IF all your trades are quick and
profitable......a couple losers and you're back to even or probably in the
red......
To put it another way, your "system" is going to make you wish you left
your money in the bank......

Moe
August 6th 06, 09:46 AM
Blash wrote:
> wrote on 8/5/06 8:25 AM:
>
>> I shoot for 3/4 to 1% but take what I can when it's a profit. Is
>> this to high?
>
> No.....it's not too high IF all your trades are quick and
> profitable......a couple losers and you're back to even or probably in the
> red......
> To put it another way, your "system" is going to make you wish you left
> your money in the bank......

OK, so what amount should a person try and make on a 40K trade?

Blash
August 6th 06, 01:43 PM
Moe wrote on 8/6/06 4:46 AM:

> Blash wrote:
>> wrote on 8/5/06 8:25 AM:
>>
>>> I shoot for 3/4 to 1% but take what I can when it's a profit. Is
>>> this to high?
>>
>> No.....it's not too high IF all your trades are quick and
>> profitable......a couple losers and you're back to even or probably in the
>> red......
>> To put it another way, your "system" is going to make you wish you left
>> your money in the bank......
>>
> OK, so what amount should a person try and make on a 40K trade?

That depends on each persons' goals......are they an investor, a day
trader, something in-between???......
Are they trying to build a nest-egg or are they a newbie who fell for
"you can get rich overnight" in one of these commercials on TV???

BrunoR
August 7th 06, 01:04 AM
Moe wrote:
> Just wondering, if a person buys say, 40,000 worth of stock for a
> trade what would be a good amount to consider the profit worth while?
> 200? 300? 400? Commissions are 10.00 in and 10.00 out for 20 bucks total.
> Not on margin. What would most traders consider a fair amount to
> make on a trade this size? I realize it matters how the markets move
> and all that, and it can vary a lot, but I'm wondering when a person
> enters a trade what percentage they usually consider a take it now profit?
> I shoot for 3/4 to 1% but take what I can when it's a profit. Is
> this to high?

.....wouldn't that depend on whether Moe buys 1000 shares of a $40 stock, or
10 different stocks a la 100 shares at $4, or perhaps 2 shares of <BRK.A> ?

Also, does Moe, perhaps, consider that stocks can drop with little
provocation
by a larger percentage than he may consider reasonable irrespective of
how the
market moves?

If Moe, indeed, has accumulated $40,000 in order to speculate one must
expect
more sense than to ask a silly question in a newsgroup, IMHO, of course.

Btw. People like Moe would be any broker's delight (as long as it'll
last!). Make
sure your broker will take you out for a steak dinner at least once a
week. ;-)