PDA

View Full Version : We Are at the Moment of Extreme Danger

brk[_2_]
March 12th 09, 11:18 PM
Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies are required
from the U.S. government to revive global growth, says Daily Telegraph
International Business Editor Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.

"This terrifying fall has been concentrated in the last five months.
The job slaughter has barely begun," Evans-Pritchard writes. "Social
mayhem comes with a 12-month lag."

According to a survey by Merrill Lynch, Taiwan's exports to China fell
55 percent in January, Japan's fell 45 percent. Manufacturing output
in the Shanghai region fell 12 percent in January.

"By comparison, industrial output in core-Europe fell 2.8 percent in
1930, 5.1 percent in 1931 and 3.9 percent in 1932," wrote Evans-
Pritchard.

The economic situation is dire. But, the visual cues from John
Steinbeck's terrifying characterization of Depression-era America have
not yet arrived, as workers are not lining up at soup kitchens across
the land.

Evans-Pritchard writes that the lowest interest rates in history are
failing to gain traction globally.

A flurry of bond issues from the U.S. Treasury is swamping the debt
market. The yield on 10-year Treasuries has climbed from 2 percent to
3.04 percent in eight weeks.

"The real cost of money is rising as deflation gathers pace," warns
Evans-Pritchard.

U.S. house prices have fallen 27 percent, according to the Case-
Shiller index. "The pace of descent is accelerating," said Evans-
Pritchard.

The Dow could fall to 4,000 by this summer unless there is a quantum
reduction in mortgage interest rates, says Evans-Pritchard.

Other "shock and awe" policies needed include forcing 10-year Treasury
bills down to 1 percent and mortgage rates to 2.5 percent.

"This remedy is fraught with risk, but all options are ghastly at this
point. That is the legacy we have been left by the Greenspan
doctrine," says Evans-Pritchard.

"We are at the moment of extreme danger."

http://moneynews.newsmax.com/streettalk/evans_pritchard_dow/2009/03/06/189228.html

Neolibertarian
March 13th 09, 01:02 AM
In article >,
brk > wrote:

> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies

The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.

--
Neolibertarian

"Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."

uncle_vito
March 13th 09, 01:53 AM
Yeah. So what. Long as the market keeps moving up as it has the last 3
days, I could give a rats ass, chicken little.

Vito

"Neolibertarian" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> brk > wrote:
>
>> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
>> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies
>
> The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> --
> Neolibertarian
>
> "Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."

BuffetHater
March 13th 09, 01:53 AM
> The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.

It's the debt, stupid. Cutting off america's int credit is worse
than depriving oil or air.
Debt at every level will choke the econ for years . . . but that
will never discourage wall street from having rallies to fill the
bonus pools when funded by the gov't.

Dow 4422 by november, then the double up rally.

uncle_vito
March 13th 09, 02:06 AM
US Dollar is the only decent currency in the world. You going to use Euros?
Where are they going to go when you are the best and only real game in the
world. They have no choice. Deal with it, Bozo.

Vito

"BuffetHater" > wrote in message
>> The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> It's the debt, stupid. Cutting off america's int credit is worse
> than depriving oil or air.
> Debt at every level will choke the econ for years . . . but that
> will never discourage wall street from having rallies to fill the
> bonus pools when funded by the gov't.
>
> Dow 4422 by november, then the double up rally.

phil scott
March 13th 09, 02:45 AM
On Mar 12, 6:53*pm, "Uncle_vito" > wrote:
> Yeah. *So what. *Long as the market keeps moving up as it has the last 3
> days, I could give a rats ass, chicken little.
>
> Vito
>
> "Neolibertarian" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > brk > wrote:
>
> >> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> >> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies
>
> > The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> > --
> > Neolibertarian
>
> > "Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."- Hide quoted text -

errr ah...vito... you would surely not be mistaking an up-blip in a
down marketas a long term trend? , with all the leading indicators
and the macro economics blacker than the ace of spades, on a dark
night... as a ... good sigh?

nah... you are no doubt making a valiant attempt to talk the market
and morale up a bit. .. and that works for a while, it has worked for
the last decade or so, as people spent themselves into the tank.

I wish you well with that... its a few million guys like you that keep
some people building buildings etc.. that gives the rest of us a
chance to pay off debt, and cut costs.

***
On another issue, if it gets bad,,and I think it will,... due to the
established infrastructure and existing homes etc, automated farming
etc... we will not see a major rash of soup lines, though many exist
and are growing...I think govt will step in...see to it that enough
food is produced and get that to people. etc.

Im not looking for blood in the streets, in the US at least.

Phil scott

Frog Britches[_3_]
March 13th 09, 03:06 AM
brk wrote:

> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies are required
> from the U.S. government to revive global growth, says Daily Telegraph
> International Business Editor Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "This terrifying fall has been concentrated in the last five months.
> The job slaughter has barely begun," Evans-Pritchard writes. "Social
> mayhem comes with a 12-month lag."
>
> According to a survey by Merrill Lynch, Taiwan's exports to China fell
> 55 percent in January, Japan's fell 45 percent. Manufacturing output
> in the Shanghai region fell 12 percent in January.
>
> "By comparison, industrial output in core-Europe fell 2.8 percent in
> 1930, 5.1 percent in 1931 and 3.9 percent in 1932," wrote Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The economic situation is dire. But, the visual cues from John
> Steinbeck's terrifying characterization of Depression-era America have
> not yet arrived, as workers are not lining up at soup kitchens across
> the land.
>
> Evans-Pritchard writes that the lowest interest rates in history are
> failing to gain traction globally.
>
> A flurry of bond issues from the U.S. Treasury is swamping the debt
> market. The yield on 10-year Treasuries has climbed from 2 percent to
> 3.04 percent in eight weeks.
>
> "The real cost of money is rising as deflation gathers pace," warns
> Evans-Pritchard.
>
> U.S. house prices have fallen 27 percent, according to the Case-
> Shiller index. "The pace of descent is accelerating," said Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The Dow could fall to 4,000 by this summer unless there is a quantum
> reduction in mortgage interest rates, says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> Other "shock and awe" policies needed include forcing 10-year Treasury
> bills down to 1 percent and mortgage rates to 2.5 percent.
>
> "This remedy is fraught with risk, but all options are ghastly at this
> point. That is the legacy we have been left by the Greenspan
> doctrine," says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "We are at the moment of extreme danger."
>
> http://moneynews.newsmax.com/streettalk/evans_pritchard_dow/2009/03/06/189228.html
Is anybody saying let's save Americans first?

A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert Hoover.
March 13th 09, 09:39 AM
On Mar 12, 4:18*pm, brk > wrote:
> We Are at the Moment of Extreme Danger.

We are? OMG!!!! EVERYONE RUN!!!! I'M WRITING THIS AS I RUN FOR THE
BOMB SHELTER I CONSTRUCTED OUT OF OLD NEWSPAPERS AND OATMEAL.

A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert Hoover.
March 13th 09, 09:42 AM
On Mar 12, 6:02*pm, Neolibertarian > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *brk > wrote:
> > Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> > the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies
>
> The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> --
> Neolibertarian
>
> "Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."

Wait a sec. Are you saying, Neolibertarian--considered by
Neolibertarian to be the wisest man posting to this thread--that the
only thing we have to fear is being afraid of stuff? That's a relief.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
This is Hell is one of the best political talk shows on the air. The
host, Chuck Mertz, asks intelligent, probing questions and gives the
guests as much time as needed to answer. Past guests have included
Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Dean Baker, Greg Palast, and many more
luminaries of political thought.
http://www.thisishell.net/

Jerry Okamura
March 13th 09, 11:10 PM
Yep, All you need to do is "scare the pants" our of enough of us, then we
will support anything that the President wants to do. Hey, that sounds
pretty familiar. Didn't Bush do the very same thing to justify the war in
Iraq?

"brk" > wrote in message

> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies are required
> from the U.S. government to revive global growth, says Daily Telegraph
> International Business Editor Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "This terrifying fall has been concentrated in the last five months.
> The job slaughter has barely begun," Evans-Pritchard writes. "Social
> mayhem comes with a 12-month lag."
>
> According to a survey by Merrill Lynch, Taiwan's exports to China fell
> 55 percent in January, Japan's fell 45 percent. Manufacturing output
> in the Shanghai region fell 12 percent in January.
>
> "By comparison, industrial output in core-Europe fell 2.8 percent in
> 1930, 5.1 percent in 1931 and 3.9 percent in 1932," wrote Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The economic situation is dire. But, the visual cues from John
> Steinbeck's terrifying characterization of Depression-era America have
> not yet arrived, as workers are not lining up at soup kitchens across
> the land.
>
> Evans-Pritchard writes that the lowest interest rates in history are
> failing to gain traction globally.
>
> A flurry of bond issues from the U.S. Treasury is swamping the debt
> market. The yield on 10-year Treasuries has climbed from 2 percent to
> 3.04 percent in eight weeks.
>
> "The real cost of money is rising as deflation gathers pace," warns
> Evans-Pritchard.
>
> U.S. house prices have fallen 27 percent, according to the Case-
> Shiller index. "The pace of descent is accelerating," said Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The Dow could fall to 4,000 by this summer unless there is a quantum
> reduction in mortgage interest rates, says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> Other "shock and awe" policies needed include forcing 10-year Treasury
> bills down to 1 percent and mortgage rates to 2.5 percent.
>
> "This remedy is fraught with risk, but all options are ghastly at this
> point. That is the legacy we have been left by the Greenspan
> doctrine," says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "We are at the moment of extreme danger."
>
> http://moneynews.newsmax.com/streettalk/evans_pritchard_dow/2009/03/06/189228.html

Cotton
March 13th 09, 11:19 PM
Jerry Okamura wrote:
> Yep, All you need to do is "scare the pants" our of enough of us, then
> we will support anything that the President wants to do. Hey, that
> sounds pretty familiar. Didn't Bush do the very same thing to justify
> the war in Iraq?

KKKlintax started it. dems parrotted KKKlintax. Bush just fell in line
with the democRAT war mongers.

March 13th 09, 11:27 PM
Cotton wrote:
> Jerry Okamura wrote:
>> Yep, All you need to do is "scare the pants" our of enough of us,
>> then we will support anything that the President wants to do. Hey,
>> that sounds pretty familiar. Didn't Bush do the very same thing to
>> justify the war in Iraq?
>
> KKKlintax started it. dems parrotted KKKlintax. Bush just fell in line
> with the democRAT war mongers.

You are delusional

Cotton
> Cotton wrote:
>> Jerry Okamura wrote:
>>> Yep, All you need to do is "scare the pants" our of enough of us,
>>> then we will support anything that the President wants to do. Hey,
>>> that sounds pretty familiar. Didn't Bush do the very same thing to
>>> justify the war in Iraq?
>>
>> KKKlintax started it. dems parrotted KKKlintax. Bush just fell in
>> line with the democRAT war mongers.
>

> You are delusional

no u r.

March 14th 09, 12:08 AM
On Mar 13, 4:42*am, "A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert
Hoover." > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 6:02*pm, Neolibertarian > wrote:

> > The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>

> Wait a sec. *Are you saying, Neolibertarian--considered by
> Neolibertarian to be the wisest man posting to this thread--

So, you seem to be the kind of guy who would run out on the track and
try to write speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500.

> that the
> only thing we have to fear is being afraid of stuff? *That's a relief.

No, "we" needn't fear danger, merely respect it; understand it; fight
it.

"The only thing we have to fear is the New Deal, itself" is an old
bromide, from the cautionary tale of the Great Depression. The
Greatness of Roosevelt is that the Depression was so Great.

Not many men could have drug it out for so long--even /after/ being
elected President for Life.

--
Neolibertarian

March 14th 09, 12:09 AM
the short sellers are in a panic. the SEC just decided to reverse the
"uptick rule" put into eefect in may,2007...

"THE BLACK HAND" is the name of the international
terrorist group that is causing all the problems.

A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert Hoover.
March 14th 09, 11:46 AM
On Mar 13, 5:08*pm, wrote:
> On Mar 13, 4:42*am, "A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert
>
> Hoover." > wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 6:02*pm, Neolibertarian > wrote:
> > > The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> > Wait a sec. *Are you saying, Neolibertarian--considered by
> > Neolibertarian to be the wisest man posting to this thread--
>
> So, you seem to be the kind of guy who would run out on the track and
> try to write speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500.

I'd write tickets to those drivers who drive way past the speeds that
their Indy cars could tolerate because we don't want one car exploding
and taking out all of the rest. We don't want one car being too big
(of an explosion) to fail.

> > that the
> > only thing we have to fear is being afraid of stuff? *That's a relief..
>
> No, "we" needn't fear danger, merely respect it; understand it; fight
> it.

I fear nothing except fearlessness.

> "The only thing we have to fear is the New Deal, itself" is an old
> bromide, from the cautionary tale of the Great Depression. The
> Greatness of Roosevelt is that the Depression was so Great.
>
> Not many men could have drug it out for so long--even /after/ being
> elected President for Life.
>
> --
> Neolibertarian

FDR, the great Satan of the neoliberals and the acolytes of Milton
Friedman. In a fist fight, FDR would beat Friedman. Everyone always
underestimates the cripple in a fight.

Yeah, the markets will fix themselves. Hahahaha. What a hoot.

March 14th 09, 04:27 PM
On Mar 12, 6:53*pm, "Uncle_vito" > wrote:
> Yeah. *So what. *Long as the market keeps moving up as it has the last 3
> days, I could give a rats ass, chicken little.

Sucker.

Mike (As in "suckers' rally"...)

March 14th 09, 04:30 PM
On Mar 12, 7:06*pm, "Uncle_vito" > wrote:
> US Dollar is the only decent currency in the world. *You going to use Euros?
> Where are they going to go when you are the best and only real game in the
> world. *They have no choice. *Deal with it, Bozo.

How about the decline and fall of EVERYTHING? As in "no such thing as
currency"?

Mike

March 14th 09, 04:32 PM
On Mar 13, 4:19*pm, Cotton > wrote:
> Jerry Okamura wrote:
> > Yep, *All you need to do is "scare the pants" our of enough of us, then
> > we will support anything that the President wants to do. *Hey, that
> > sounds pretty familiar. *Didn't Bush do the very same thing to justify
> > the war in Iraq?
>
> KKKlintax started it. *dems parrotted KKKlintax. *Bush just fell in line
> with the democRAT war mongers.

The Republican Party is a party of terrorists and people like you and
Comix need to be jailed right along with them.

Mike

Neolibertarian
March 14th 09, 11:27 PM
In article
>,
"A confusion of geckos, snowmen, and Herbert Hoover."
> wrote:

> > No, "we" needn't fear danger, merely respect it; understand it; fight
> > it.

> I fear nothing except fearlessness.
> >
> > "The only thing we have to fear is the New Deal, itself" is an old
> > bromide, from the cautionary tale of the Great Depression. The
> > Greatness of Roosevelt is that the Depression was so Great.
> >
> > Not many men could have drug it out for so long--even /after/ being
> > elected President for Life.

> FDR, the great Satan of the neoliberals and the acolytes of Milton
> Friedman. In a fist fight, FDR would beat Friedman. Everyone always
> underestimates the cripple in a fight.
>
> Yeah, the markets will fix themselves. Hahahaha. What a hoot.

Eventually, they always do. Despite the interference from your favorite
populist-bureaucrats.

If you could define "markets" so that it actually made sense, we could
discuss it.

--
Neolibertarian

"Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."

Day Brown[_4_]
March 15th 09, 03:59 PM
Yadda wrote:
> The reason the fall has been so drastic is because the FED/Wall
> Street/Government put in place the incentives (along with massive fraud)
> to create a false economy. Things are just adjusting back to normal.
Partly. But the new normal is very unstable. At the head of the list is the
simple fact that the global economy ran ahead of oil production, the
shortage of which drove the price up, and that ruined the careful
calculations of profit vs risk.

Every wise investor can now see that should the global economy get going
again, oil consumption will rise again, and with that the price will shoot
up again to unpredictable levels. Nobody knows what profit, if any, will be
left.

The neurotic denial of the fact we've passed Hubbard's peak motivated the
corruption, to try to get as much out of the system before collapse.
--
More at http://www.daybrown.org

Yadda
March 15th 09, 08:35 PM
on 3/12/09 6:18 PM brk said the following:

> Global trade and economic output are collapsing at rates that outpace
> the Depression of the 1930s, and "shock and awe" policies are required
> from the U.S. government to revive global growth, says Daily Telegraph
> International Business Editor Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "This terrifying fall has been concentrated in the last five months.
> The job slaughter has barely begun," Evans-Pritchard writes. "Social
> mayhem comes with a 12-month lag."
>
> According to a survey by Merrill Lynch, Taiwan's exports to China fell
> 55 percent in January, Japan's fell 45 percent. Manufacturing output
> in the Shanghai region fell 12 percent in January.
>
> "By comparison, industrial output in core-Europe fell 2.8 percent in
> 1930, 5.1 percent in 1931 and 3.9 percent in 1932," wrote Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The economic situation is dire. But, the visual cues from John
> Steinbeck's terrifying characterization of Depression-era America have
> not yet arrived, as workers are not lining up at soup kitchens across
> the land.
>
> Evans-Pritchard writes that the lowest interest rates in history are
> failing to gain traction globally.
>
> A flurry of bond issues from the U.S. Treasury is swamping the debt
> market. The yield on 10-year Treasuries has climbed from 2 percent to
> 3.04 percent in eight weeks.
>
> "The real cost of money is rising as deflation gathers pace," warns
> Evans-Pritchard.
>
> U.S. house prices have fallen 27 percent, according to the Case-
> Shiller index. "The pace of descent is accelerating," said Evans-
> Pritchard.
>
> The Dow could fall to 4,000 by this summer unless there is a quantum
> reduction in mortgage interest rates, says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> Other "shock and awe" policies needed include forcing 10-year Treasury
> bills down to 1 percent and mortgage rates to 2.5 percent.
>
> "This remedy is fraught with risk, but all options are ghastly at this
> point. That is the legacy we have been left by the Greenspan
> doctrine," says Evans-Pritchard.
>
> "We are at the moment of extreme danger."
>
> http://moneynews.newsmax.com/streettalk/evans_pritchard_dow/2009/03/06/189228.html

The reason the fall has been so drastic is because the FED/Wall
Street/Government put in place the incentives (along with massive fraud)
to create a false economy. Things are just adjusting back to normal.

lorad
March 16th 09, 06:01 AM
On Mar 12, 5:53*pm, BuffetHater > wrote:
> > The only danger lying ahead is in your panic and despair.
>
> It's the debt, stupid. * Cutting off america's int credit is worse
> than depriving oil or air.
> Debt at every level will choke the econ for years . . . but that
> will never discourage wall street from having rallies to fill the
> bonus pools when funded by the gov't.
>
> Dow 4422 by november, then the double up rally.

Debt? Cancel it. Hit the reset button.