PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon "tide" goes out; Obama has no clothes on

freedom0in0exile
March 13th 09, 02:01 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690358175013837.html

Obama's Poll Numbers Are Falling to Earth

By DOUGLAS E. SCHOEN and SCOTT RASMUSSEN

It is simply wrong for commentators to continue to focus on President
Barack Obama's high levels of popularity, and to conclude that these
are indicative of high levels of public confidence in the work of his
administration. Indeed, a detailed look at recent survey data shows
that the opposite is most likely true. The American people are coming
to express increasingly significant doubts about his initiatives, and
most likely support a different agenda and different policies from
those that the Obama administration has advanced.

Polling data show that Mr. Obama's approval rating is dropping and is
below where George W. Bush was in an analogous period in 2001.
Rasmussen Reports data shows that Mr. Obama's net presidential
approval rating -- which is calculated by subtracting the number who
strongly disapprove from the number who strongly approve -- is just
six, his lowest rating to date.

Overall, Rasmussen Reports shows a 56%-43% approval, with a third
strongly disapproving of the president's performance. This is a
substantial degree of polarization so early in the administration. Mr.
Obama has lost virtually all of his Republican support and a good part
of his Independent support, and the trend is decidedly negative.

[snip]

There is also a clear sense in the polling that taxes will increase
for all Americans because of the stimulus, notwithstanding what the
president has said about taxes going down for 95% of Americans. Close
to three-quarters expect that government spending will grow under this
administration.

[F0F NOTE: This shows that Americans can still do basic arithmetic.
You can SAY "95% of Americans will get a tax cut" all you want, but if
the deficit continues to increase, basic arithmetic states that AT
SOME POINT, taxes are going WAY up, and that the current admin, like
the last one, is just kicking the can down the road for the sake of
their own ideologies and/or careers.]

Recent Gallup data echo these concerns. That polling shows that there
are deep-seeded, underlying economic concerns. Eighty-three percent
say they are worried that the steps Mr. Obama is taking to fix the
economy may not work and the economy will get worse. Eighty-two
percent say they are worried about the amount of money being added to
the deficit. Seventy-eight percent are worried about inflation
growing, and 69% say they are worried about the increasing role of the
government in the U.S. economy.

[F0F NOTE: The citizens aren't interested in being France or Sweden,
obviously. Leftists, get over it.]

When Gallup asked whether we should be spending more or less in the
economic stimulus, by close to 3-to-1 margin voters said it is better
to have spent less than to have spent more. When asked whether we are
adding too much to the deficit or spending too little to improve the
economy, by close to a 3-to-2 margin voters said that we are adding
too much to the deficit.

Support for the stimulus package is dropping from narrow majority
support to below that. There is no sense that the stimulus package
itself will work quickly, and according to a recent Wall Street
Journal/NBC poll, close to 60% said it would make only a marginal
difference in the next two to four years. Rasmussen data shows that
people now actually oppose Mr. Obama's budget, 46% to 41%. Three-
quarters take this position because it will lead to too much spending.
And by 2-to-1, voters reject House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's call for a
second stimulus package.

While over two-thirds support the plan to help homeowners refinance
their mortgage, a 48%-36% plurality said that it will unfairly benefit
those who have been irresponsible, echoing Rick Santelli's call to
arms on CNBC.

[F0F NOTE: But, it was nice to see Gibbs making a fool out of himself
trying to impune Santelli.]

And although a narrow majority remains confident in Mr. Obama's goals
and overall direction, 45% say they do not have confidence, a number
that has been growing since the inauguration less than two months ago.
With three-quarters saying that they expect the economy to get worse,
it is hard to see these numbers improving substantially.

There is no real appetite for increasing taxes to pay for an expanded
health-insurance program. Less than half would support such an idea,
which is 17% less than the percentage that supported government health
insurance when Bill Clinton first considered it in March of 1993.

[F0F NOTE: A prediction I made during the presidential campaign.
Presented with a generic question like "would you like a government
health care program" a huge majority will say "yes". As details of it
are presented, including, proposed costs, support peels off. Further,
the speed of the proposed legislation in Washington haven't permitted
people to focus in on the health care proposals in the current budget;
attention will, at some point, be given to the fact that the proposal
during the campaign was 150B, but 682B has been actually budgeted for
the effort. That's a rather large overrun, and makes defense
contractors look honest compared to Obama.]

While voters blame Republicans for the lack of bipartisanship in
Washington, the fact is that they do not believe Mr. Obama has made
any progress in improving the impulse towards cooperation between the
two parties. Further, nearly half of voters say that politics in
Washington will be more partisan over the next year.

Fifty-six percent of Americans oppose giving bankers any additional
government money or any guarantees backed by the government. Two-
thirds say Wall Street will benefit more than the average taxpayer
from the new bank bailout plan. This represents a jump in opposition
to the first plan passed last October. At that time, 45% opposed the
bailout and 30% supported it. Now a solid majority opposes the bank
bailout, and 20% think it was a good idea. A majority believes that
Mr. Obama will not be able to cut the deficit in half by the end of
his term.

Only less than a quarter of Americans believe that the federal
government truly reflects the will of the people. Almost half disagree
with the idea that no one can earn a living or live "an American life"
without protection and empowerment by the government, while only one-
third agree.

[F0F NOTE: Another thing the leftists need to "get over": In times of
financial crisis, Americans look to THEMSELVES, not the government.
The Libertarian gene is alive and well.]

Despite the economic stimulus that Congress just passed and the budget
and financial and mortgage bailouts that Congress is now debating,
just 19% of voters believe that Congress has passed any significant
legislation to improve their lives. While Congress's approval has
increased, it still stands at only 18%. Over two-thirds of voters
believe members of Congress are more interested in helping their own
careers than in helping the American people. When it comes to the
nation's economic issues, two-thirds of voters have more confidence in
their own judgment than they do in the average member of Congress.

[F0F NOTE: There's that Libertarian gene again. You cannot build a
social democracy with that level of public distrust.]

Finally, what probably accounts for a good measure of the confidence
and support the Obama administration has enjoyed is the fact that they
are not Republicans. Virtually all Americans, more than eight in 10,
blame Republicans for the current economic woes, and the only two
leaders with lower approval ratings than Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi
are Republican leaders Mitch McConnell and John Boehner.

[F0F NOTE: The public is ready for real change, it appears. Pity the
two major parties screen out the candidates that can accomplish that,
or that the candidates with ideas representing "change" have, up to
this point, been unattractive for other reasons.]

All of this is not just a subject for pollsters and analysts to
debate. It shows fundamentally that public confidence in government
remains low and is slipping. We face the possibility of substantial
gridlock along with an absolute absence of public confidence that
could come to mirror the lack of confidence in the American economy
that the Dow and the S&P are currently showing.

Mr. Schoen, formerly a pollster for President Bill Clinton, is the
author of "Declaring Independence: The Beginning of the End of the Two
Party System" (Random House, 2008). Mr. Rasmussen is president of
Rasmussen Reports, an independent national polling company.

March 13th 09, 02:10 PM
freedom0in0exile wrote:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690358175013837.html
>
> Obama's Poll Numbers Are Falling to Earth
>
> By DOUGLAS E. SCHOEN and SCOTT RASMUSSEN
>
> It is simply wrong for commentators to continue to focus on President
> Barack Obama's high levels of popularity, and to conclude that these
> are indicative of high levels of public confidence in the work of his

Gallup daily poll- Obama's job approval Approve - 68% Disapprove 27%

John Galt[_2_]
> freedom0in0exile wrote:
>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690358175013837.html
>>
>> Obama's Poll Numbers Are Falling to Earth
>>
>> By DOUGLAS E. SCHOEN and SCOTT RASMUSSEN
>>
>> It is simply wrong for commentators to continue to focus on President
>> Barack Obama's high levels of popularity, and to conclude that these
>> are indicative of high levels of public confidence in the work of his
>

> Gallup daily poll- Obama's job approval Approve - 68% Disapprove 27%

One poll. Here's the average of five:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

RCP Average 03/03 - 03/10 -- 60.8 30.2 +30.6

Gallup 03/08 - 03/10 1 551 A 62 27 +35
Rasmussen Repts 03/08 - 03/10 1500 LV 56 43 +13
Ipsos-McClatchy 03/05 - 03/09 1070 A 65 29 +36
Newsweek 03/04 - 03/05 1203 A 58 26 +32
FOX News 03/03 - 03/04 900 RV 63 26 +37

But, key point is that his approval rankings are nothing unusual for a
president in their first 100 days.

JG

PeterL
March 13th 09, 05:20 PM
On Mar 13, 7:01*am, freedom0in0exile >
wrote:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690358175013837.html
>
> Obama's Poll Numbers Are Falling to Earth
>
> By DOUGLAS E. SCHOEN and SCOTT RASMUSSEN
>
> It is simply wrong for commentators to continue to focus on President
> Barack Obama's high levels of popularity, and to conclude that these
> are indicative of high levels of public confidence in the work of his
> administration.

The reverse is also true. It's simply wrong for commentators to
continue to focus on Obama's levels of popularity, regardless of how
high or low it is.