PDA

View Full Version : AIG bonus outrage has employees living in fear

NewsToBeRead
March 21st 09, 03:18 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it paid
to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.

The payouts to executives appear to have helped put a face on the economic
struggles the country faces, and the anger targeting AIG is palpable. Death
threats have been pouring in since the brouhaha broke, the company said, and
its workers are taking no chances.

"It's scary," one executive said, speaking on condition of anonymity because
he feared retribution. "People are very, very nervous for their security."

The financial products division is in Wilton in Fairfield County, and many
of the company's leaders live in large homes on the "Gold Coast," an area
known more for golf courses and sweeping views of Long Island Sound than for
the police cars that now regularly patrol the well-kept streets.

Corporate officials advised employees in a memo posted on Gawker.com to
avoid wearing the company logo, in an effort to keep from drawing attention.
Workers were also urged to travel in pairs at night and park in well-lit
areas.

And typifying the preoccupation with the AIG payouts, a busload of activists
plans to drive by executives' houses Saturday in an attempt to deliver
letters highlighting the strife of ordinary families in the recession and
seeking solutions for economic recovery.

AIG said Friday that at least three executives who received bonuses planned
to return the money, including James Haas and Doug Poling, both residents of
Fairfield County.

"However someone may feel about the appropriateness of the retention
payments, there is nothing appropriate about the threats that people have
made to and about employees," company spokesman Mark Herr said in a
statement. Haas and Poling have not responded to requests for comment from
The Associated Press.

The Polings help out charities including a homeless shelter, theaters and a
school, according to The Connecticut Post. At the house, a large white
Colonial on a cul-de-sac with all the trappings of suburban prosperity -
green shutters, a wood-shingled roof and an invisible fence for dogs - a
police car pulled up Friday afternoon and talked to a security guard.

Officer Joe Kalson said that he drives by two or three times a day as of
late and that other officers patrol the area, as well.

Organizers of the bus protest noted that there are no plans to trespass and
that only a small group planned to get off the bus at each stop.

The protest is an attempt to let people suffering from loss of jobs or homes
tell their stories directly to AIG executives, said organizer Jon Green,
director of Connecticut Working Families, a coalition of labor unions and
other groups.

"There is a human cost to the economic meltdown that we're experiencing,"
Green said.

Security companies in New York say the financial crisis has created brisk
business in everything from bomb-sniffing dogs to bodyguards for executives.
The firms didn't want to identify the companies for security reasons.

Pat Timlin, president of the Michael Stapleton Associates, which provides
dog teams, said some companies are reacting to the negative atmosphere
surrounding Wall Street firms.

"These are people used to living private lives, and are now faced with
publicity and attention, often negative attention, and they're worried and
responding to that," Timlin said.

Tim Horner, the managing director at Kroll Inc. security company, said the
financial industry is taking any perceived risk much more seriously. He has
seen an increase on the human resources side of security from companies
concerned about hostile laid-off employees.

He has also seen more companies reacting to the very public criticism of
once very private companies like AIG.

"There are corporations that have been spotlighted as those responsible or
whatever, where they weren't before, and it's a concern," he said. "What's
going on here is the stress that individuals and corporations are facing,
given a downturn economy. The problems are highlighted more during this
time."

Horner said AIG seems to be responding prudently to a corporate security
risk.

"I'm sure there is not only a perceived risk, but there are probably
threatening or harassing e-mails and blog entries all over the place.
They're right to cover themselves," he said.

Stan de SD
March 21st 09, 03:33 AM
On Mar 20, 8:18*pm, "NewsToBeRead" > wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security
>
> By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
> Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET
>
> FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
> their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
> American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it paid
> to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.

The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|

The Moderator
March 21st 09, 10:54 AM
"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "NewsToBeRead" > wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security
>
> By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
> Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET
>
> FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
> their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
> American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it
> paid
> to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.

The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|

*************************

This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. In their
world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. Like spoiled
children.

Ron Peterson
March 21st 09, 01:56 PM
Is there a fund that people, who are sympathetic to the plight of the
AIG executives, can contribute so that the executives can forego the
bonuses from AIG? :-)

--
Ron

Doobie Keebler[_2_]
March 21st 09, 03:58 PM
On Mar 21, 8:56*am, Ron Peterson > wrote:
> Is there a fund that people, who are sympathetic to the plight of the
> AIG executives, can contribute so that the executives can forego the
> bonuses from AIG? :-)
>
> --
> * *Ron

LOL!

Yeah, let's worry about the most privileged members of our society
first.

Oh! Those poor bankers and insurance executives!

(And never mind the orphans and widows they screwed into
poverty . . .)

..-=d00b
..

Freedom Fighter
March 21st 09, 06:26 PM
"The Moderator" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "NewsToBeRead" > wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security
>>
>> By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
>> Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET
>>
>> FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
>> their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
>> American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it
>> paid
>> to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.
>
> The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
> his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|
>
> *************************
>
> This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. In
> their world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. Like
> spoiled children.

It is YOU fascist RepubliKKKan-KKKon$ervative$ that allowed white-collar
criminals to run amuck and financially rape our economy - and the poor and
middle classes! And all the while you shout "Law and Order!" as a cover for
depriving the very same citizens of their freedoms and Constitutional
protections. Your day is done; it is fair and just that YOU corpserate
criminals must now live in fear and deprivation!

EMD
March 22nd 09, 04:10 PM
read this is mostly BULL****......AIG employees
trying to gain some sympathy.......

"NewsToBeRead" > wrote in message
. com...
> [...]
> has seen an increase on the human resources side of security from
> companies concerned about hostile laid-off employees.
>
> He has also seen more companies reacting to the very public criticism of
> once very private companies like AIG.
>
> "There are corporations that have been spotlighted as those responsible or
> whatever, where they weren't before, and it's a concern," he said. "What's
> going on here is the stress that individuals and corporations are facing,
> given a downturn economy. The problems are highlighted more during this
> time."
>
> Horner said AIG seems to be responding prudently to a corporate security
> risk.
>
> "I'm sure there is not only a perceived risk, but there are probably
> threatening or harassing e-mails and blog entries all over the place.
> They're right to cover themselves," he said.

March 22nd 09, 10:52 PM
On 21-Mar-2009, "The Moderator" > wrote:

> This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. In
> their
> world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. Like spoiled
> children.

Speaking of children, when is the adult supervision going to arrive in
Congress?

--
bill-o

The moderator
March 23rd 09, 01:53 PM
"Freedom Fighter" > wrote in message
> "The Moderator" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
>> On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "NewsToBeRead" > wrote:
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security
>>>
>>> By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
>>> Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET
>>>
>>> FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
>>> their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
>>> American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it
>>> paid
>>> to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.
>>
>> The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
>> his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|
>>
>> *************************
>>
>> This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. In
>> their world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. Like
>> spoiled children.
>
> It is YOU fascist RepubliKKKan-KKKon$ervative$ that allowed white-collar
> criminals to run amuck and financially rape our economy - and the poor and
> middle classes! And all the while you shout "Law and Order!" as a cover
> for depriving the very same citizens of their freedoms and Constitutional
> protections. Your day is done; it is fair and just that YOU corpserate
> criminals must now live in fear and deprivation!

Thanks for making my point.

March 23rd 09, 02:18 PM
geez, as i remember, the DEMOCRAT CONGRESS was in charge of the nations
finance problems for the last three years,so, if you want to blame some
one, the democrats running congress would be the best place to start.

"THE BLACK HAND" is the name of the international
terrorist group that is causing all the problems.

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
March 23rd 09, 04:57 PM
If anyone is charged with physically attacking AIG execs and i'm on the
jury. I'm gonna acquit the attackers. Jury nullification is a wonderful
thing and the best way we can fight all the corruption in america.

March 23rd 09, 05:15 PM
On Mar 21, 2:26*pm, "Freedom Fighter" > wrote:
> "The Moderator" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > On Mar 20, 8:18 pm, "NewsToBeRead" > wrote:
> >>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_us/aig_outrage_security
>
> >> By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer John Christoffersen,
> >> Associated Press Writer - Fri Mar 20, 6:24 pm ET
>
> >> FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Pillars of the community are now pariahs fearing for
> >> their safety in a ritzy area of Connecticut home to many executives at
> >> American International Group Inc., hit with a backlash over bonuses it
> >> paid
> >> to top brass even as it accepted federal bailout money.
>
> > The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
> > his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|
>
> > *************************
>
> > This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. *In
> > their world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. *Like
> > spoiled children.
>
> It is YOU fascist RepubliKKKan-KKKon$ervative$ that allowed white-collar
> criminals to run amuck and financially rape our economy - and the poor and
> middle classes! And all the while you shout "Law and Order!" as a cover for
> depriving the very same citizens of their freedoms and Constitutional
> protections. Your day is done; it is fair and just that YOU corpserate
> criminals must now live in fear and deprivation!

Been disconnected from reality long?

Freedom Fighter
March 23rd 09, 07:14 PM
"The moderator" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Freedom Fighter" > wrote in message
>> "The Moderator" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> The impending Obama disaster needs ready scapegoats - never mind that
>>> his own party was complicit in arranging the payout. :O|
>>>
>>> *************************
>>>
>>> This is how liberals react to problems, emotion rather than logic. In
>>> their world victim status entitles them to violent retribution. Like
>>> spoiled children.
>>
>> It is YOU fascist RepubliKKKan-KKKon$ervative$ that allowed white-collar
>> criminals to run amuck and financially rape our economy - and the poor
>> and middle classes! And all the while you shout "Law and Order!" as a
>> cover for depriving the very same citizens of their freedoms and
>> Constitutional protections. Your day is done; it is fair and just that
>> YOU corpserate criminals must now live in fear and deprivation!
>
> Thanks for making my point.

Anger over what you fascists have done to our country and the world's
economy is more than justified. YOU hypocrites are the first ones to call
for the blood of common street criminals, but you turn a blind eye to the
massive corpserate crime and greed that has put us in our present crisis.
Read the history of the French Revolution! The way things are going, it
could happen again.

March 23rd 09, 07:21 PM
On Mar 23, 3:14*pm, "Freedom Fighter" > wrote:
> "The moderator" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "Freedom Fighter" > wrote in message
> >> "The Moderator" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> It is YOU fascist RepubliKKKan-KKKon$ervative$ that allowed white-collar
> >> criminals to run amuck and financially rape our economy - and the poor
> >> and middle classes! And all the while you shout "Law and Order!" as a
> >> cover for depriving the very same citizens of their freedoms and
> >> Constitutional protections. Your day is done; it is fair and just that
> >> YOU corpserate criminals must now live in fear and deprivation!
>
> > Thanks for making my point.
>
> Anger over what you fascists have done to our country and the world's
> economy is more than justified. YOU hypocrites are the first ones to call
> for the blood of common street criminals, but you turn a blind eye to the
> massive corpserate crime and greed that has put us in our present crisis.
> Read the history of the French Revolution! The way things are going, it
> could happen again.

ROTFLMAO! After Bamy gets done, how are you going to afford the
ammunition?? Gee, we're right at 100 days in, and he's already
floundering. Looks to me like he's got a good head start on being able
to beat Bush Jr. in the unpopularity polls. snicker.

March 23rd 09, 11:49 PM
On 23-Mar-2009, "Freedom Fighter" > wrote:

> Anger over what you fascists

Please use this word correctly. Fascists are Socialists, as in of the left.
Not of the right.

--
bill-o

March 24th 09, 05:35 PM
On Mar 23, 7:49*pm, wrote:
> On 23-Mar-2009, "Freedom Fighter" > wrote:
>
> > Anger over what you fascists
>
> Please use this word correctly. Fascists are Socialists, as in of the left.

Doobie Keebler[_2_]
March 24th 09, 06:39 PM
On Mar 23, 6:49*pm, wrote:

> Please use this word correctly. Fascists are Socialists, as in of the left.

Doobie Keebler[_2_]
March 24th 09, 07:06 PM
On Mar 24, 1:39*pm, Doobie Keebler > wrote:

> Perhaps you've been reading the crack-pot work of Jonah Goldberg?

Jonah Goldberg, the crack-pot revisionist, who infamously said:
"I think the same thing applies to the radicals in the 1960's ...
their actions were fascist"

In case you missed it:
Here's a photo of some of those radicals back in 1968:
http://tinyurl.com/DFH-1968

Ah! Watch those freedom loving and patriot protectors of the peace
swing those billy clubs!

Freedom Is On The March!

..
..

This same Jonah Goldberg also wrote:
"Mussolini remained a socialist until his last breath"

Yet, Mussolini actually said in his 1932 "The Doctrine of Fascism"
quite the opposite:

.. . . "Granted that the 19th century was the century of socialism,
liberalism, democracy, this does not mean that the 20th century must
also be the century of socialism, liberalism, democracy. Political
doctrines pass; nations remain. We are free to believe that this is
the century of authority, a century tending to the 'right ', a Fascist
century."

Here we have the founder of modern fascism, Mussolini himself, in his
principle doctrinal work on the subject, arguing for a movement of
"authority, a century tending to the 'right ', a Fascist century."

Where do you think the catch phrase 'authorirarian right-wing fascist'
come from, if not from teh Grand-Daddy of fascism himself?

Sorry, but Jonah Goldberg has said nothing credible, never mind how
many cranks tout him.

..-=d00b
..

March 24th 09, 08:14 PM
i have to keep laughing at these kooks who think freedom and capitalism
have caused financial problems..we built the country into a powerhose,
and then the left wing socialists have been ruining the country for
many years with their socialistic laws...

"THE BLACK HAND" is the name of the international
terrorist group that is causing all the problems.

March 24th 09, 08:16 PM
doobies post proves ALL socialists are bad,both right wing and left wing
like obama...

"THE BLACK HAND" is the name of the international
terrorist group that is causing all the problems.

March 24th 09, 09:09 PM
wrote in news:[email protected]
3251.bay.webtv.net:

...we built the country into a powerhose,

yep we're all getting HOSED pretty good.

" THE BLACK HAM " is the name of those portions of the pig that i
ejaculate on.

March 25th 09, 01:00 AM
On 24-Mar-2009, Doobie Keebler > wrote:

> Franco was a Leftist?

No, he was neither fascist nor socialist, more of a Papist

> Mousillini was a leftist?

I don't know, but Mussolini was a Socialist and for a short time the editor
of L'Avanti, the Socialist newspaper. Even after the formation of the
Fascisti in 1919 he considered himself as a Socialist, only an Italian (read
National) Socialist, not one beholden to Soviet "International" Socialism.

> Hitler was a leftist?

Leader of the National Socialist German Workers' Party who's platform was in
many ways similar to the German Communist Party.

> Perhaps you've been reading the crack-pot work of Jonah Goldberg?

Of course I've read it, it is superbly documented and noted. You haven't and
therefore have no leg to stand on.

> You may have a legitimate beef with the previous post, but cheap
> revisionist tin-hattery (i.e Goldberg's book) is not the answer.

I'm sorry but the revisionism took place on the left after Hitler's crimes
were discovered.

--
bill-o

March 25th 09, 01:02 AM
On 24-Mar-2009, Doobie Keebler > wrote:

> Jonah Goldberg, the crack-pot revisionist, who infamously said:
> "I think the same thing applies to the radicals in the 1960's ...
> their actions were fascist"

You don't know what fascist is obviously, clubbing people is neither right
nor left, it is violent, a particularly human trait.

--
bill-o

SODDI
March 26th 09, 09:50 PM
> [...]
> has seen an increase on the human resources side of security from
> companies concerned about hostile laid-off employees.
>
> He has also seen more companies reacting to the very public criticism of
> once very private companies like AIG.
>
> "There are corporations that have been spotlighted as those responsible or
> whatever, where they weren't before, and it's a concern," he said. "What's
> going on here is the stress that individuals and corporations are facing,
> given a downturn economy. The problems are highlighted more during this
> time."
>
> Horner said AIG seems to be responding prudently to a corporate security
> risk.
>
> "I'm sure there is not only a perceived risk, but there are probably
> threatening or harassing e-mails and blog entries all over the place.
> They're right to cover themselves," he said.

All of this is not a bad thing.

People should not live in fear of financial companies. Financial companies
should live in fear of the people.

Paraphrased from some comic book.