PDA

View Full Version : A 15-Year Depression?

Rexx
March 25th 09, 06:49 PM
Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression

- Phil Davis

Pension trustees and insurance company portfolio managers look away
now. Your increased commitment to government bond holdings in recent
times is about to blow up spectacularly.

At least, that is the view of Ron Paul, the US congressman who ran
against John McCain in last year's Republican Party presidential
nomination.

His is a minority view. Yields on government bonds worldwide have been
falling fast over the past few months and in the UK, the commencement
of "quantitative easing" this month sent bond prices soaring.

But the credibility of both western governments and their currencies
is waning, and has been ever since the gold standard was abandoned in
1971, says Mr. Paul. And that means even "safe" investments are far
from safe, he claims.

"People will start to abandon the dollar as current and past economic
policies create a steep rise in interest rates," Mr. Paul says.

"If you are in Treasuries, you will need to be watchful and nimble to
time your escape."

Unfortunately, cashing out will not protect the value of investments,
he insists, because "fiat" currencies will all decline over the coming
years as measures to try to haul the world economy out of recession
fail. "The current stimulus measures are making things a lot worse,"
says Mr. Paul.

"The US government just won't allow the correction the economy needs."
He cites the mini-depression of 1921, which lasted just a year largely
because insolvent companies were allowed to fail. "No one remembers
that one. They'll remember this one, because it will last 15 years."

At some stage - Mr. Paul estimates it will be between one and four
years - the dollar will implode. "The dollar as a reserve standard is
done," he says. He sees little hope for other currencies where central
banks have also created too much liquidity dating right back to the
early 1970s.

"Europe and the US will both have to fundamentally change their money
systems," he adds.

And don't even mention shares to Mr. Paul: "The last place you want to
be is in the stock market," he says. "It may not bottom out for 10
years - just look at Japan."

A deep recession had only been avoided up until now because of the
efforts of successive governments to reflate the economy. But there
are no more policy levers left, says Mr. Paul. "This is the big one."

He believes that markets will fall much further and inflation rise
much higher before his fellow politicians recognise that the system
has failed. "We are likely to see an inflation depression," Mr. Paul
says.

"In the 1970s, we had stagflation, but not depression. Inflation
depression is what you see in Zimbabwe."

PeterL
March 25th 09, 08:10 PM
On Mar 25, 11:49*am, Rexx > wrote:
> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression

We are nowhere near anything like a depression.

BuffetHater
March 25th 09, 09:30 PM
On Mar 25, 3:10*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 11:49*am, Rexx > wrote:
>
> > Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.

Ron Paul is a doctor, a gynocologist, a member of congress. You are
a jerk
with a rented keyboard.
Whom to trust?

PeterL
March 25th 09, 09:43 PM
On Mar 25, 2:30*pm, BuffetHater > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 3:10*pm, PeterL > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 25, 11:49*am, Rexx > wrote:
>
> > > Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> Ron Paul is a doctor, a gynocologist, a member of congress. * You are
> a jerk
> with a rented keyboard.
> Whom to trust?

Gynecologist. Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
English spelling.

Gynecologist huh? I think he had his head up somewhere where it
dosen't belong way too often.

Poetic Justice[_2_]
March 25th 09, 09:50 PM
PeterL wrote:
> On Mar 25, 11:49 am, Rexx > wrote:
>> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.

Keep telling yourself that.

So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.

Who is going to bail out the Government?

PeterL
March 25th 09, 10:25 PM
On Mar 25, 2:50*pm, Poetic Justice >
wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 11:49 am, Rexx > wrote:
> >> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> Keep telling yourself that.

Don't need to. Economic data tell me that. Ron Paul is an alarmist.

> So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.

Still not near a depression.

> Who is going to bail out the Government?

You are.

PeterL
March 25th 09, 10:52 PM
wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 11:49 am, Rexx > wrote:
> >> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> Keep telling yourself that.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Is this the worst economy since the Great
Depression? And what are the chances of the economy falling into
another depression?

The answer to the first question is fairly clear. In most ways that
matter to economists and average Americans, this is the worst economic
crisis since the Depression.

The answer to the second question is not as clear. While the National
Bureau of Economic Research officially declares the beginning and end
of recessions, nobody does that for depressions.

Still, the general consensus of economists is that another depression
is not likely.

Werner
March 25th 09, 11:24 PM
On Mar 25, 5:43*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:30*pm, BuffetHater > wrote:

> > > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> > Ron Paul is a doctor, a gynocologist, a member of congress. * You are
> > a jerk
> > with a rented keyboard.
> > Whom to trust?
>
> Gynecologist. *Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> English spelling.
>
> Gynecologist huh? *I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> dosen't belong way too often.

But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
us the country is bankrupt. So whose ass is grass, Lass?

Now we borrow Trillions more. We move ourselves further into
bankruptcy. Change we can believe in.

“The idea that you can fix a period of excess borrowing and excess
consumption by more borrowing and more consumption to me is just
ludicrous,”
Jim Rogers, an American
investment guru
"...government and the banking system have deliberately created
financial bubbles to shore up the economy, engender profits, and
maintain tax revenues."
http://www.rense.com/general85/chall.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2x7R8pxUs&feature=related

Werner
March 25th 09, 11:31 PM
On Mar 25, 6:52*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:50*pm, Poetic Justice >
> wrote:
>
> > PeterL wrote:
>
> > > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> > Keep telling yourself that.
>
> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Is this the worst economy since the Great
> Depression? And what are the chances of the economy falling into
> another depression?
>
> The answer to the first question is fairly clear. In most ways that
> matter to economists and average Americans, this is the worst economic
> crisis since the Depression.
>
> The answer to the second question is not as clear. While the National
> Bureau of Economic Research officially declares the beginning and end
> of recessions, nobody does that for depressions.
>
> Still, the general consensus of economists is that another depression
> is not likely.

What was the consensus before TARP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCv32qaINIQ&feature=related

Lawyerkill
March 25th 09, 11:36 PM
On Mar 25, 7:24�pm, Werner > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 5:43�pm, PeterL > wrote:

> > > Ron Paul is a doctor, a gynocologist, a member of congress. � You are
> > > a jerk
> > > with a rented keyboard.
> > > Whom to trust?
>
> > Gynecologist. �Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> > English spelling.
>
> > Gynecologist huh? �I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> > dosen't belong way too often.
>
> But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> us the country is bankrupt. �So whose ass is grass, Lass?

Please cite that statement and where you got it. Obama is saying that
thinks aren't as bad as we think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/13/AR2009031301469.html

"On Monday, Christina Romer, chairman of the president's Council of
Economic Advisers, told an audience at the Brookings Institution that
the current crisis, while severe, "pales in comparison" with the Great
Depression. On Thursday, Obama told the Business Roundtable, an
association of executives, that things "are not as bad as we think
they are.""

PeterL
March 25th 09, 11:46 PM
On Mar 25, 4:24*pm, Werner > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 5:43*pm, PeterL > wrote:

> > > Ron Paul is a doctor, a gynocologist, a member of congress. * You are
> > > a jerk
> > > with a rented keyboard.
> > > Whom to trust?
>
> > Gynecologist. *Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> > English spelling.
>
> > Gynecologist huh? *I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> > dosen't belong way too often.
>
> But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> us the country is bankrupt. *So whose ass is grass, Lass?

The country is deep in debt, he don't have to tell me that. It's
clear as day, since the Bush's second term. I am contesting his claim
of depression.

phil scott
March 26th 09, 02:43 AM
On Mar 25, 1:10*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 11:49*am, Rexx > wrote:
>
> > Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.

errrr ... you are entirely correct.

However it is not the current condition thats relevant... it is the
trend line, going straight into the tank, with disasterous underlying
basics driving it there... Depression may be in its initial stages
now, if 1929-1933 is any clue we may well rebound the market 50%...on
hot air, as the basics stay tanked,,,then depression for a decade or a
lot more.
on a set of drivers that include

Mfgr sent offshore, no generation of real products thats what drives
real prosperity.

over 60% of our prior work force......... retired No way in hell
to pay their SS and medicare without
taxing the remaining population into abject ruins (used to be 16
people working for every one on SS, now its 4 working for every one on
SS,, in a few years i will be one or two working for everyone on SS.
50 trillion in those obligations.

etc.

Phil scottt\

phil scott
March 26th 09, 02:48 AM
wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 11:49 am, Rexx > wrote:
> >> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> Keep telling yourself that.
>
> So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.
>
> Who is going to bail out the Government?

no one peter... its over the falls now... this mess will hit a hard
bottom for decades... the US will not rise to world wide super power
status for at least another few hundred years... generally its 500
years from peak to peak...

there are hard demographic drivers behind that...its not chart squggle
analysis.

dr ravi batra. 'the comming depression (or collapse) 1990' details
the demographic drivers. a short observation of history will show you
the repeating cycle, its drivers, stages and end stage phenomena...we
are in the late stages of the end phase of the life cycle of nations..

Phil scott

phil scott
March 26th 09, 02:52 AM
On Mar 25, 3:25*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:50*pm, Poetic Justice >
> wrote:
>
> > PeterL wrote:
>
> > > We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>
> > Keep telling yourself that.
>
> Don't need to. *Economic data tell me that. *Ron Paul is an alarmist.
>

> > So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.
>
> Still not near a depression.
>

> > Who is going to bail out the Government?
>
> You are.

Peter, you are in line with an entire batch of folks who were saying
realestate was going to keep going up and no crash could possibly
happen..that was in 2004- 2007... now its tanked.

where are those folks? Poooooof, gone, When you go it will be
no surprise. You are basing you bogus notions on present conditions
with the assumption that will remain static.

that logic is loopy Peter.

Phil scott

Werner
March 26th 09, 02:53 AM
On Mar 25, 7:36*pm, Lawyerkill > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 7:24 pm, Werner > wrote:

> > > Gynecologist. Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> > > English spelling.
>
> > > Gynecologist huh? I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> > > dosen't belong way too often.
>
> > But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> > us the country is bankrupt. So whose ass is grass, Lass?
>
> Please cite that statement and where you got it. Obama is saying that
> thinks aren't as bad as we think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldETRlhiXk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DuxuKds1Pk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWMDF92ZE7c

phil scott
March 26th 09, 03:01 AM
On Mar 25, 4:46*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 4:24*pm, Werner > wrote:

> > > Gynecologist. *Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> > > English spelling.
>
> > > Gynecologist huh? *I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> > > dosen't belong way too often.
>
> > But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> > us the country is bankrupt. *So whose ass is grass, Lass?
>
> The country is deep in debt, he don't have to tell me that. *It's
> clear as day, since the Bush's second term. *I am contesting his claim
> of depression.- Hide quoted text -

You are looking at a train off the rails, falling into a deep ravine,
in mid air...no way in hell to stop it...but you are looking at it
from the dining car...its as smooth as glass there...and thats
true. for another few seconds at least.

others of us are looking at this mess from the canyon rim... its ugly
bud.

Phil scott

Werner
March 26th 09, 03:07 AM
On Mar 25, 7:46*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 4:24*pm, Werner > wrote:

> > > Gynecologist. *Certainly can't trust anyone who needs help with basic
> > > English spelling.
>
> > > Gynecologist huh? *I think he had his head up somewhere where it
> > > dosen't belong way too often.
>
> > But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> > us the country is bankrupt. *So whose ass is grass, Lass?
>
> The country is deep in debt, he don't have to tell me that. *It's
> clear as day, since the Bush's second term. *I am contesting his claim
> of depression.

Increasingly oil is being traded in currencies other than dollars. I
understand there is talk in China and elsewere to abandon the dollar
as reserve currency. What happens when the dollar is shunned? What
happens when the dollar collapses?

Poetic Justice[_2_]
March 26th 09, 03:33 AM
PeterL wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:50 pm, Poetic Justice >
> wrote:
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>> Keep telling yourself that.
>

> Don't need to. Economic data tell me that. Ron Paul is an alarmist.

Obama was the one telling us that, so how stupid are you really?

>> So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.
>
> Still not near a depression.

you must live in a Bubble because there's 600,000 newly unemployed
people a month that may not agree. Plus you Liberals said that John
McCain was out of touch and lived in too many houses when he said the
economy was not that bad and the fundamentals were sound.

Some counties have 10-20% unemployment.

>> Who is going to bail out the Government?
>
> You are.

I have no money for them. Next choice....

Poetic Justice[_2_]
March 26th 09, 03:36 AM
Werner wrote:
> On Mar 25, 7:46 pm, PeterL > wrote:

>>> But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
>>> us the country is bankrupt. So whose ass is grass, Lass?
>> The country is deep in debt, he don't have to tell me that. It's
>> clear as day, since the Bush's second term. I am contesting his claim
>> of depression.
>

> Increasingly oil is being traded in currencies other than dollars. I
> understand there is talk in China and elsewere to abandon the dollar
> as reserve currency. What happens when the dollar is shunned? What
> happens when the dollar collapses?

*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*
*ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE*

Lawyerkill
March 26th 09, 07:07 AM
On Mar 25, 10:53�pm, Werner > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 7:36�pm, Lawyerkill > wrote:

> > > But you have to admit he was the only Presidential candidate who told
> > > us the country is bankrupt. So whose ass is grass, Lass?
>
> > Please cite that statement and where you got it. Obama is saying that
> > thinks aren't as bad as we think.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldETRlhiXk&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DuxuKds1Pk&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWMDF92ZE7c- Hide quoted text -

And what does this have to do with Obama's statement?

Lawyerkill
March 26th 09, 07:35 AM
On Mar 26, 3:07�am, Lawyerkill > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 10:53 pm, Werner > wrote:

> > > Please cite that statement and where you got it. Obama is saying that
> > > thinks aren't as bad as we think.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldETRlhiXk&feature=relatedhttp://www.....Hide quoted text -

> And what does this have to do with Obama's statement?- Hide quoted text -

By the way I liked Paul, and agree with many things he says, but I
understand that when people run for office they are many times not
the same people we get after they are elected. I don't see how Paul
saying something makes it true. We are not in a depression and no
where near a depression.

The really big problem I see it that we are getting older and I don't
see where is all the money going to come from to take care the older
that will be sick.

Snowflake babies stay crunchy, even in milk.
March 26th 09, 08:35 AM
On Mar 25, 11:49*am, Rexx > wrote:
> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
> *- Phil Davis
>
> Pension trustees and insurance company portfolio managers look away
> now. Your increased commitment to government bond holdings in recent
> times is about to blow up spectacularly.
>
> At least, that is the view of Ron Paul, the US congressman who ran
> against John McCain in last year's Republican Party presidential
> nomination.
>
> His is a minority view. Yields on government bonds worldwide have been
> falling fast over the past few months and in the UK, the commencement
> of "quantitative easing" this month sent bond prices soaring.
>
> But the credibility of both western governments and their currencies
> is waning, and has been ever since the gold standard was abandoned in
> 1971, says Mr. Paul. And that means even "safe" investments are far
> from safe, he claims.
>
> "People will start to abandon the dollar as current and past economic
> policies create a steep rise in interest rates," Mr. Paul says.
>
> "If you are in Treasuries, you will need to be watchful and nimble to
> time your escape."
>
> Unfortunately, cashing out will not protect the value of investments,
> he insists, because "fiat" currencies will all decline over the coming
> years as measures to try to haul the world economy out of recession
> fail. "The current stimulus measures are making things a lot worse,"
> says Mr. Paul.
>
> "The US government just won't allow the correction the economy needs."
> He cites the mini-depression of 1921, which lasted just a year largely
> because insolvent companies were allowed to fail. "No one remembers
> that one. They'll remember this one, because it will last 15 years."
>
> At some stage - Mr. Paul estimates it will be between one and four
> years - the dollar will implode. "The dollar as a reserve standard is
> done," he says. He sees little hope for other currencies where central
> banks have also created too much liquidity dating right back to the
> early 1970s.
>
> "Europe and the US will both have to fundamentally change their money
> systems," he adds.
>
> And don't even mention shares to Mr. Paul: "The last place you want to
> be is in the stock market," he says. "It may not bottom out for 10
> years - just look at Japan."
>
> A deep recession had only been avoided up until now because of the
> efforts of successive governments to reflate the economy. But there
> are no more policy levers left, says Mr. Paul. "This is the big one."
>
> He believes that markets will fall much further and inflation rise
> much higher before his fellow politicians recognise that the system
> has failed. "We are likely to see an inflation depression," Mr. Paul
> says.
>
> "In the 1970s, we had stagflation, but not depression. Inflation
> depression is what you see in Zimbabwe."

Ron Paul is a libertarian. He filters everything through this
philosophy. What we need are economists and politicians who are
biased towards any political philosophies. So we have Ron Paul, who
believes that the government should keep it's hands out of
everything. Before you cheer on that idea, keep in mind that Enron
happened because the government wasn't doing its job and instead was
staying out of Enron's business. The same with all of these Wall
Street corps that are begging for money. Madoff would have been shut
down years ago if the FEC had been doing it's job.

So when Ron Paul sees the economy falter, he immediately looks for a
way to blame government involvement when the opposite is the root of
the problem most of the time.

Here's an interesting side note: the Great Depression and our current
recession/depression were preceded by large tax cuts. Some economists
have argued that it was loosening of regulations and tax cuts that
caused both economic downturns. The tax cuts weren't converted to
investment in corporate infrastructures but were instead used to fuel
large speculation bubbles.

Werner
March 26th 09, 04:22 PM
On Mar 26, 3:35*am, Lawyerkill > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 3:07 am, Lawyerkill > wrote:

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldETRlhiXk&feature=relatedhttp://www....quoted text -

> > And what does this have to do with Obama's statement?- Hide quoted text -

> By the way I liked Paul, and agree with many things he says, but I
> understand that when people run for office *they are many times not
> the same people we get after they are elected. I don't see how Paul
> saying something makes it true. We are not in a depression and no
> where near a depression.
>
> The really big problem I see it that we are getting older and I don't
> see where is all the money going to come from to take care the older
> that will be sick.

There will be other problems. You can expect it to be harder on the
young who will begin to wonder why they should pay all the taxes.

Werner
March 26th 09, 04:27 PM
On Mar 25, 11:36*pm, Poetic Justice >
wrote:
> Werner wrote:

> >> The country is deep in debt, he don't have to tell me that. *It's
> >> clear as day, since the Bush's second term. *I am contesting his claim
> >> of depression.
>
> > Increasingly oil is being traded in currencies other than dollars. I
> > understand there is talk in China and elsewere to abandon the dollar
> > as reserve currency. What happens when the dollar is shunned? What
> [...]

and we don't want to waste a good crisis

Bruce Watson
March 26th 09, 06:01 PM
In article >,
Rexx > wrote:

>Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>
>"In the 1970s, we had stagflation, but not depression. Inflation
>depression is what you see in Zimbabwe."

The US is not Zimbabwe.

Michael Coburn
April 30th 09, 11:02 PM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:50:51 -0400, Poetic Justice wrote:

> PeterL wrote:
>> On Mar 25, 11:49 am, Rexx > wrote:
>>> Ron Paul: Believer in small government predicts 15-year depression
>>
>> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>>

> Keep telling yourself that.
>
> So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.
>

> Who is going to bail out the Government?

If government owns all the tanks and bazookas then government does not
need a bail out. Government script will be accepted because government
says so. That is the reality of fiat money. George Washington wrote an
IOU to the boat man so as to use the boat man's boats to cross the
Delaware and surprise the Haitians. That script may or may not have
later been presented to the new government and redeemed for gold coin.
The script would have served as currency nonetheless. The people holding
the swords are NEVER broke. If necessary they will confiscate your
chickens and use that to support the people with the swords. The only
thing that really matters is "who controls the government?".

The United States of America has more bazookas that any other nation and
that is why the dollar is the base currency. As the value of the dollar
wanes due to the creation and spending of more dollars without any
taxation to recapture such dollars then oil and Chinese hula hoops will
cost more and more and more. So too will corn and rice and beans and
such. The proper solution to this problem is a proper tax system.
Raising interest rates is just plain stupid. So long as the Chinese and
the rest of the world are willing to supply oil and goods for small
amounts of US dollars there is no reason to stop printing them up and
foregoing the taxation. But increasing interest rates is merely another
handout to the rich and a ridiculous way to manage the problems. And,
yes Virginia, there are tax mechanisms that do not harm the productive
REAL economy.

--
"Those are my opinions and you can't have em" -- Bart Simpson

Beam Me Up Scotty[_2_]
May 1st 09, 12:06 AM
Michael Coburn wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:50:51 -0400, Poetic Justice wrote:
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> We are nowhere near anything like a depression.
>>>

>> Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>> So far it looks like we are broke and government is in denial too.
>>

>> Who is going to bail out the Government?
>
> If government owns all the tanks and bazookas then government does not
> need a bail out. Government script will be accepted because government
> says so. That is the reality of fiat money. George Washington wrote an

It may not be enough to keep some resemblance of control.

Germany after WWI sure changed before WWII.