PDA

View Full Version : Technical Analysis Software to Graph Custom Calculations?

W[_2_]
March 27th 09, 02:44 PM
I am looking for a technical charting package that would let me create time
delay charts that represent the output of a custom mathematical calculation.
One application would be arbitrage on a merger. I want to do a calculation
using the merger formula of how much the acquired stock would be worth on
closing, then divide that by the current trading value of the stock, to
determine the change in the discount over time. I would then want to chart
that discount on a time based graph.

Which web-based or desktop software charting applications allow such
flexible calculations to be graphed on a time based chart??

Blash
March 27th 09, 07:53 PM
W wrote on 3/27/09 10:44 AM:

> I am looking for a technical charting package that would let me create time
> delay charts that represent the output of a custom mathematical calculation.
> One application would be arbitrage on a merger. I want to do a calculation
> using the merger formula of how much the acquired stock would be worth on
> closing, then divide that by the current trading value of the stock, to
> determine the change in the discount over time. I would then want to chart
> that discount on a time based graph.
>
> Which web-based or desktop software charting applications allow such
> flexible calculations to be graphed on a time based chart??

Sorta makes you wonder how arbitrageurs made money before computers......

W[_2_]
March 27th 09, 09:46 PM
Well I suppose if you are a big company betting $50M, then you just hire a
Harvard chimpanzee to build an Excel spreadsheet and watch it all day long
and then make screaming sounds every time it hits your target. :)

For those of us for whose total investments wouldn't even cover the cost of
the chimp, some additional levels of automation would be nice.

"Blash" > wrote in message
> W wrote on 3/27/09 10:44 AM:
>
> > I am looking for a technical charting package that would let me create
time
> > delay charts that represent the output of a custom mathematical
calculation.
> > One application would be arbitrage on a merger. I want to do a
calculation
> > using the merger formula of how much the acquired stock would be worth
on
> > closing, then divide that by the current trading value of the stock, to
> > determine the change in the discount over time. I would then want to
chart
> > that discount on a time based graph.
> >
> > Which web-based or desktop software charting applications allow such
> > flexible calculations to be graphed on a time based chart??
>

> Sorta makes you wonder how arbitrageurs made money before computers......

Blash
March 27th 09, 10:46 PM
W wrote on 3/27/09 5:46 PM:

> Well I suppose if you are a big company betting $50M, then you just hire a
> Harvard chimpanzee to build an Excel spreadsheet and watch it all day long
> and then make screaming sounds every time it hits your target. :)
>
> For those of us for whose total investments wouldn't even cover the cost of
> the chimp, some additional levels of automation would be nice.

When it comes to playing the market, especially with home-grown formula(s),
put your money on the chimp........