PDA

View Full Version : Re: Anybody know what is the GDP of the EU as a percentage of total global trade?

Paul
July 20th 03, 08:54 AM
According to The Economist's Pocket Book of Figures, 2002 Edition, in 1999
world GDP was $30,610bn, of which the EU was $8,500bn - so 28%. By
comparison, the US GDP was $9,152bn.

"Stephen GoldenGun" > wrote in message
> Does anybody happen to know what is the GDP of the European Union
including
> the newly added member states, as a percentage of the entire global trade
> economy?
>

> ---

First Surname
July 20th 03, 10:22 AM
Paul wrote:

> According to The Economist's Pocket Book of Figures, 2002 Edition, in 1999
> world GDP was $30,610bn, of which the EU was $8,500bn - so 28%. By
> comparison, the US GDP was $9,152bn.
>
> "Stephen GoldenGun" > wrote in message
> > Does anybody happen to know what is the GDP of the European Union
> including
> > the newly added member states, as a percentage of the entire global trade
> > economy?

The next 10 member states to be added account for 5% of GDP, but 20% for
population.

Eurostat: anything you wanted know about EU and too much more:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/eurostat/Public/datashop/print-product/EN?catalogue=Eurostat&product=1-05122002-EN-BP-EN&mode=download

If I remember right, in 1980's the EU's GDP exceeded the combined GDP of
Japan and USA
because of currency exchange rates. German mark had a rally.

StephenGoldenGun
July 20th 03, 07:07 PM
Paul > wrote in message
> > The next 10 member states to be added account for 5% of GDP, but 20% for
> > population.
> >
> > Eurostat: anything you wanted know about EU and too much more:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/eurostat/Public/datashop/print-product/EN?catalogu
e=Eurostat&product=1-05122002-EN-BP-EN&mode=download

> > If I remember right, in 1980's the EU's GDP exceeded the combined GDP of
> > Japan and USA
> > because of currency exchange rates. German mark had a rally.
>
> Interestingly, and apropos of nothing, of total UK GDP ($1,442bn), the
> much-maligned manufacturing sector represented 19.9% - $287bn. This,
> though, is more than the entire GDP of, amongst others Switzerland,
Belgium,
> Sweden, Austria and Poland. If UK manufacturing were a country, it would
be
> the 18th largest in GDP terms. Who says UK manufacturing is dead?

I love my country and I love the fact that we have a big economy.

---

Paul
July 20th 03, 07:11 PM
> The next 10 member states to be added account for 5% of GDP, but 20% for
> population.
>
> Eurostat: anything you wanted know about EU and too much more:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/eurostat/Public/datashop/print-product/EN?catalogue=Eurostat&product=1-05122002-EN-BP-EN&mode=download

> If I remember right, in 1980's the EU's GDP exceeded the combined GDP of
> Japan and USA
> because of currency exchange rates. German mark had a rally.

Interestingly, and apropos of nothing, of total UK GDP ($1,442bn), the
much-maligned manufacturing sector represented 19.9% - $287bn. This,
though, is more than the entire GDP of, amongst others Switzerland, Belgium,
Sweden, Austria and Poland. If UK manufacturing were a country, it would be
the 18th largest in GDP terms. Who says UK manufacturing is dead?

First Surname
July 20th 03, 09:54 PM
Paul wrote:

> Who says UK manufacturing is dead?

Britons themselves keep repeating something like that.

Manufacturing requires solid understanding of current production
technology
and industrial automation.

StephenGoldenGun
July 20th 03, 10:02 PM
First Surname > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
> > Who says UK manufacturing is dead?
>
> Britons themselves keep repeating something like that.
>
> Manufacturing requires solid understanding of current production
> technology
> and industrial automation.

Actually Paul, I was under the similar impression, I feel we in the UK have
a tendency to "underestimate ourselves" we are a damned fine country with
honest and hardworking people. People who have no pride in our country and
institutions should travel abroad, then perhaps they will realise how great
we truly are as a nation.

---

Peter Saxton
July 21st 03, 04:10 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:57:19 +0100, (Steve
Firth) wrote:

Golden Gun's usual stuff snipped

>You are contributing nothing to this group other than mindless, arrogant
>noise.

Well, it's worth a try! :-)

Peter Saxton from London