PDA

View Full Version : Tax Code.

Ian Clark
July 25th 03, 08:32 PM
Hi,

What should the Tax code be for the following.

24 year old Female
Not married
Living with mother who is unemployed for medical reasons

Job: Been working for 3 years in the Cardiology dept. as a Heart Technician
No Children
None on the way
No medical illnesses

Gross salary at present is £14598 (gotta love the NHS)

Thanks
Ian Clark

Laura
July 25th 03, 08:43 PM
"Ian Clark" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What should the Tax code be for the following.
>
> 24 year old Female
> Not married
> Living with mother who is unemployed for medical reasons
>
> Job: Been working for 3 years in the Cardiology dept. as a Heart
Technician
> No Children
> None on the way
> No medical illnesses
>

> Gross salary at present is £14598 (gotta love the NHS)
>
> Thanks
> Ian Clark

The tax code will probably be 461L.

If so, the total liability for income tax (assuming no other income) will be
in the region of £1965, and the total NI will be around £997.

HTH

Laura

Ronald Raygun
July 25th 03, 09:08 PM
Laura wrote:

> "Ian Clark" > wrote
>> What should the Tax code be for the following.
>>
>> 24 year old Female
>> Not married
>> Living with mother who is unemployed for medical reasons
>>
>> Job: Been working for 3 years in the Cardiology dept. as a Heart
> Technician
>> No Children
>> None on the way
>> No medical illnesses
>>
>> Gross salary at present is £14598 (gotta love the NHS)
>
> The tax code will probably be 461L.

Indeed, but it's worth pointing out that almost none of the
information Ian provided has any effect on the tax code.
About the only thing is her age - it means she doesn't get
the enhanced personal allowance for over 65/75s.

The point, of which Ian is presumably unaware, is that the
tax code doesn't directly determine how much tax you pay,
rather it determines how much of your income you don't pay
tax on.

Most everybody's personal allowance is £4615, and that's
why most people's tax code has the number 461 in it. The
status letter is now all but irrelevant. The code allows
the employer to deduct the right amount of income tax, or
a good first approximation.

Things which could change the tax code are if she has paid
too much or too little tax last year, and this would then be
corrected this year by adjusting the tax code. Make it bigger
and less tax will be deducted, smaller and more.

Ian Clark
July 27th 03, 12:19 AM
"Ronald Raygun" > wrote in message
> Laura wrote:
>
> > "Ian Clark" > wrote
> >> What should the Tax code be for the following.

Many thanks for both your replies. Her Tax code is currently 453 So I guess
this is wrong.

Ian Clark