PDA

View Full Version : Dog offered credit card

Dudley
July 28th 03, 08:25 PM
A dog in Greater Manchester has been offered a gold credit card with a
spending limit of £10,000.
An application form arrived in the post for Monty, a Shih-Tzu, from the
Royal Bank of Scotland.

The letter was addressed to the dog at the home of his owner, Raymond
Slater, in Stockport.

He was offered a gold credit card and the chance to earn air miles.

An Royal Bank of Scotland spokeswoman said: "We have apologised for any
inconvenience caused to Mr Slater.

"We bought the name from a list broker and have no idea why Monty's details
were provided.

"His name has now been removed from the database and we are sending a hamper
to Mr Slater by way of apology."

Stuart
July 28th 03, 10:58 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:25:37 +0100, "Dudley" > wrote:

>A dog in Greater Manchester has been offered a gold credit card with a
>spending limit of £10,000.
>An application form arrived in the post for Monty, a Shih-Tzu, from the
>Royal Bank of Scotland.
>
>The letter was addressed to the dog at the home of his owner, Raymond
>Slater, in Stockport.
>
>He was offered a gold credit card and the chance to earn air miles.
>
>An Royal Bank of Scotland spokeswoman said: "We have apologised for any
>inconvenience caused to Mr Slater.
>
>"We bought the name from a list broker and have no idea why Monty's details
>were provided.
>
>"His name has now been removed from the database and we are sending a hamper
>to Mr Slater by way of apology."

A hamper ???. What,nothing for the dog who has been deprived of his credit
card. :-))
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me

PaulC
July 29th 03, 01:49 PM
I bet he's on the electoral register as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrote:

> >>A dog in Greater Manchester has been offered a gold credit card with a
> >>spending limit of £10,000.
> >>An application form arrived in the post for Monty, a Shih-Tzu, from the
> >>Royal Bank of Scotland.
> >>
> >>The letter was addressed to the dog at the home of his owner, Raymond
> >>Slater, in Stockport.
> >>
> >>He was offered a gold credit card and the chance to earn air miles.
> >>
> >>An Royal Bank of Scotland spokeswoman said: "We have apologised for any
> >>inconvenience caused to Mr Slater.
> >>
> >>"We bought the name from a list broker and have no idea why Monty's
details
> >>were provided.
> >>
> >>"His name has now been removed from the database and we are sending a
hamper
> >>to Mr Slater by way of apology."
> >>

> >A hamper ???. What,nothing for the dog who has been deprived of his
credit
> >card. :-))
>

> Ruff Justice.
>

> --
> Klaatu
>
> Gort! Deglet Ovrosco!

Stephen Burke
July 31st 03, 11:23 PM
Dudley > wrote:
> A dog in Greater Manchester has been offered a gold credit card with a
> spending limit of £10,000.

Of course, the media love stories like this and don't bother to explain what
happened ... most likely the owner put the dog's name on something or other
(e.g. to get a quote for insurance), either for fun or to see where junk mail
was coming from (I've had mail addressed to the previous owner's cat as well
as some other rather improbable names). CC companies send out bulk mailings to
people on the lists, with some vague degree of filtering, e.g. they might do
gold cards from car insurance applications if the car is a Mercedes. The dog
would not have actually got a card unless it could pass a credit check - in
which case the owner has probably done something illegal like putting it on
the electoral roll and opening a bank account in its name.

--
Stephen Burke