Showing results 1 to 25 of 276
Search took 1.60 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: JoeTaxpayer
Forum: Financial planning April 12th 16, 03:45 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 1
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Reverse mortgages now almost a must?

On 4/10/16 5:08 PM, dumbstruck wrote:
Marke****ch has an article about new rules making reverse mortgages more attractive: "The new math on reverse mortgages"...
Forum: Financial planning December 16th 15, 01:35 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 5
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Significant changes to social security claiming rules?

On 12/9/15 6:33 PM, David S. Meyers, CFP(R) wrote:

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "stealing" -- since this "bonus" marriage benefit only appeared unintentionally about 15 years...
Forum: Financial planning November 7th 15, 07:42 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 5
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Significant changes to social security claiming rules?

On 11/6/15 1:09 PM, Rich Carreiro wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean that lots
and lots of "here's precisely how to apply for social
security" articles that have been written...
Forum: Financial planning February 24th 14, 10:32 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 8
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Valuing 401k as a Benefit

On 2/24/14 10:13 AM, Bill Woessner wrote:
I'm considering taking a job at a startup which offers zero benefits. I'm trying to assign a value to all the benefits I would be giving up. But I'm sort...
Forum: Financial planning January 18th 14, 05:26 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 2
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
IRA 59-1/2 (year or date?)

A number of bits of the tax code reference 'age by end of year.' So the
child tax credit is lost if child turns 17 by year end, for example.

Is the IRA no-penalty withdrawal 'by year end' or can...
Forum: Financial planning January 13th 14, 10:50 AM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
transfers and taxes

On 1/13/14 12:27 AM, Thompson Frank wrote:
To simplify record keeping I want to move a few mutual funds from one of my brokers to another one of my brokers. Will that action be treated as selling...
Forum: Financial planning January 4th 14, 11:22 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 2
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
401K Withdrawal (checkwriting) fees

On 1/4/14 5:48 PM, DanielleOM wrote:

I received a letter from my 401K that they would now be charging $6.00
check writing fee for any payment from the plan. Off hand I do not know
how often...
Forum: Financial planning December 31st 13, 12:59 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
A convoluted Phase Out question

On 12/30/13 7:37 PM, Tad Borek wrote:

Seems the safe plan would be to covert $4k only, given the numbers
you're stating. Against that zero-tax baseline, going up to $14k means
voluntarily...
Forum: Financial planning December 30th 13, 11:28 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
A convoluted Phase Out question

On 12/30/13 3:12 PM, Tad Borek wrote:

No conversion results in a taxable $44164 and tax bill of $0
A $14,000 conversion results in a taxable $65,164 and tax bill of $3822
A $28,000...
Forum: Financial planning December 29th 13, 08:31 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
A convoluted Phase Out question

I've studied how the effect of taxation of Social Security benefits can
create a phantom 46.25% 'bracket' for a single who would otherwise be at
25%. And I think that for those who are at a taxable...
Forum: Financial planning December 10th 13, 11:26 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
tax-adjusted wealth

On 12/10/13 9:23 AM, Beliavsky wrote:
At my brokerage firm I have taxable, traditional IRA, and Roth IRA accounts. The taxable account has unrealized capital gains, and withdrawals from the...
Forum: Financial planning December 4th 13, 11:42 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 7
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
IRA MRD question

On 12/4/13 11:48 AM, Tad Borek wrote:
On 12/2/2013 4:07 AM, Thompson Frank wrote:
77 yo here. With the extremely high probablity of tax rates
increasing the remainder of my life...
Forum: Financial planning December 3rd 13, 10:55 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 7
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
IRA MRD question

On 12/3/13 3:31 PM, Alan wrote:
On 12/2/13 2:58 PM, JoeTaxpayer wrote:
The
2014 rates are already announced. On Jan 2, 2014, why not take your RMD,
and then convert a chunk to Roth? By...
Forum: Financial planning December 2nd 13, 09:58 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 7
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
IRA MRD question

On 12/2/13 7:07 AM, Thompson Frank wrote:
77 yo here. With the extremely high probablity of tax rates increasing the remainder of my life should I consider withdrawing more than the minimum...
Forum: Financial planning November 15th 13, 02:55 AM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 2
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Qualified Charitable Deductions

On 11/14/13 7:24 PM, wrote:
QCDs are a direct donation to an established charity from an IRA without impacting Adjusted Gross Income. It does count toward Required Minimum...
Forum: Financial planning November 3rd 13, 08:39 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 1
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
what can I own in a roth IRA

On 11/2/13 9:09 AM, Rainmaster35 wrote:
Instead of owning stocks in a Roth Account, Can I own a house in my Roth
Account.

Simple answer, yes.

It must be done through a self directed IRA, and...
Forum: Financial planning October 4th 13, 11:01 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Dave Ramsey article I wrote

On 10/4/13 5:46 PM, dumbstruck wrote:
On Friday, October 4, 2013 8:30:01 AM UTC-10, joetaxpayer criticized:

as writing that "The biggest mistake people make is putting too much
emphasis on...
Forum: Financial planning October 4th 13, 08:25 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Dave Ramsey article I wrote

I recently wrote an article
http://www.joetaxpayer.com/davids-biggest-mistake/ in which I quote Dave
as writing that "The biggest mistake people make is putting too much
emphasis on expenses as a...
Forum: Financial planning October 4th 13, 08:13 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 2
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Financial planning forums

On 2013-09-23 09:35:25 +0000, Beliavsky said:

MIFP used to be much more active. Are there other financial planning
forums that many of the...
Forum: Financial planning September 30th 13, 01:10 AM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 3
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Low-aspiration investors outperform

On 9/23/13 11:29 AM, Beliavsky wrote:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1544612313000500
Finance Research Letters
Available online 20 September 2013

Interesting hypothesis. The...
Forum: Financial planning May 24th 13, 06:43 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 11
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
States starting to escheat unannuitized VAs? -- IRAs too ???

On 5/24/13 1:35 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
it only applies in the same manner it applies to bank accounts. If they
don't have "activity" for a period of time. But that "activity" can just be
Forum: Financial planning April 16th 13, 07:25 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 7
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Forbes - 7 questions to test your financial literacy

On 2013-04-15 16:45:21 +0000, JoeTaxpayer said:

"I inherited an IRA, but I am afraid of the market,...
Forum: Financial planning April 15th 13, 11:45 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 7
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
Forbes - 7 questions to test your financial literacy

On 4/15/13 5:51 PM, David S Meyers CFP wrote:
Great, short, informative article. I can’t tell you how many times I run
into #3 and have to explain the difference between a container and what
Forum: Financial planning April 4th 13, 05:45 AM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 4
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
new credit card surcharge

On 4/3/13 11:11 PM, dumbstruck wrote:
Apparently in 40 states as of Jan 27 2013, retailers can charge up to a 4% surcharge. I saw that in a credit union newsletter, but haven't noticed it on any...
Forum: Financial planning January 24th 13, 03:01 PM Posted to misc.invest.financial-plan
Replies: 2
Posted By JoeTaxpayer
cc refunds?

On 1/24/13 4:43 AM, dumbstruck wrote:
Here's a naive cc question... if you get a refund for return of a pricey item posted to your account AFTER being hit by a monthly bill for that and other...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 276