How long can this market go up? IMO the air is getting kinda thin...

Old January 15th 18, 07:22 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Alan Bowler

Default How long can this market go up? IMO the air is getting kindathin...

On 2018-01-12 6:16 PM, -=DirtBag© wrote:

What kind of revenue taxation %'s have you Loonies up north?

Depends somewhat on amount and type of income, and province of residence.

My personal rule of thumb is 50% marginal, and %30 gross.
Also 13% sales taxes on goods and services (not including
groceries.)

See
http://www.ey.com/ca/en/services/tax...7-personal-tax

Notes:

Capital gains
Only 50% of capital gains are counted as income so the marginal rate
is ~25% on capital gains. Capital losses CAN ONLY be deducted from
capital gains.

Canadian dividends:
These are "grossed up" to account for income at the company
before it is taxed. (So company profits are taxed at your rate.)
And then you get a tax credit for the taxes already paid by the
company. The gross-up and credits numbers are set at what is
considered "usual" taxes for companies, and not that the
particular company paid that year.
The effect is that actual (before gross-up) dividends get
a lower tax rate than ordinary income.
Since small businesses get a lower tax rate, the gross-up and
credits are smaller.
Effective marginal rates:
Large companies: ~30%
Small companies: ~36%

Government pays for good deal of medical coverage, so if you are
comparing income taxes count most of your US medical costs
(insurance and co-pays) as taxes.

I rent so I don't have a good idea of property taxes.
Payroll taxes are Canada Pension Plan, and unemployment insurance.
and have maximums.
Old January 15th 18, 11:47 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
French©Five-ScortchedSkin®

You forgot that capital gains of any type on principal residences of both spouses is completely exempt, not just a bull**** one time allowance.

Canada's biggest ace in the hole is the finest health care system outside of France. While a small surcharge
is taxed onto the highest income earners, like me and not Mansion Mikey Lowblow "The Breadmaker King", the same type of HoMO coverage in the US would be in excess of $5,500 per month and still not encompass all of our superior health coverage (but not as great as France.)

Property taxes usually account for .8% of assessed value. Commercial is 150% of that rate. Farm and rural sets in at .6% less rebates which usually net out to .2% if farmgate income exceeds $20K net.

Booze, tobacco 'sin taxes' are about 4X as much as in the US but not France.. Alcohol and smokes are taxed at lesser rates in Quebec and its worth the trip to buy booze in Costco in new france.
Old January 15th 18, 11:59 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=DirtBag©[_8_]

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 3:47:22 PM UTC-8, French©Five-ScortchedSkin® wrote:
[...]

Too bad all the sin taxes. But for me it is the temperature. I hate the cold.
Old January 16th 18, 06:26 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Alan Bowler

On 2018-01-15 6:47 PM, French©Five-ScortchedSkin® wrote:

Canada's biggest ace in the hole is the finest health care system outside
of France. While a small surcharge is taxed onto the highest income earners,
like me and not Mansion Mikey Lowblow "The Breadmaker King", the same type
of HoMO coverage in the US would be in excess of $5,500 per month and
still not encompass all of our superior health coverage
(but not as great as France.)

Canadian medical is fantastic compared to the US, but is hardly
the best outside of France. It is more expensive (as a % of GDP)
and less comprehensive than in Britain, France, Germany and the Nordic
countries. (Probably the rest of the EU, but I have not checked.)
We need universal coverage for drugs, basic dental services,
and optometric services.

Ontario has made some progress with drug coverage for those over
65, some low income people, and now for anyone under 25.
However the recent change (everyone under 25) only came about
Universal, coverage would be cheaper (less overhead etc.)

On the other hand, a few years back Ontario backtracked on
basic optometric coverage.