The sadly obligatory SCOTUS birth-certificate post

Old December 5th 08, 04:14 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Doobie Keebler[_2_]

Default The sadly obligatory SCOTUS birth-certificate post

The Chicago Tribune briefly revives the Obama-birth-certificate
kerfuffle in an update today, if only to throw more cold water on it.
Tomorrow, the Supreme Court confabs over whether to grant a review to
Leo Donofrio’s lawsuit after having it rejected in district and
appellate courts:

. . . The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up
a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama’s U.S. citizenship,
a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of
Obama’s election.

. . . The meeting of justices will coincide with a vigil by the
filer’s supporters in Washington on the steps of the nation’s highest
court.

.. . . The suit originally sought to stay the election, and was filed
on behalf of Leo Donofrio against New Jersey Secretary of State Nina
Mitchell Wells. …

.. . . The Obama campaign has maintained that he was born in Hawaii,
has an authentic birth certificate, and is a “natural-born” U.S.
citizen. Hawaiian officials agree.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...0,664988.story
or
http://tinyurl.com/sadly-obligatory

The latest buzz surrounds the decision by Clarence Thomas to circulate
the appeal petition to the entire court after David Souter rejected it
immediately. That really doesn’t mean much, as the Tribune explains.
Of the 842 petitions circulated in that manner, only 60 got a spot on
the court calendar, and not all of those succeeded. Thomas may have
been interested in the technical aspects of the suit rather than the
merits, or perhaps it was a slow week.

It does, however, make it news, no matter how much some of us wish it
would go away. The state of Hawaii has repeatedly insisted that their
records show Obama was born in Hawaii, as the Certificate of Live
Birth states. The COLB would get any Hawaii native an American
passport with no questions asked, even without the official
endorsement of the Republican governor and her Department of Health.
There is even a contemporaneous birth announcement in a local paper
confirming it.

I’m sure this post will draw comments with various conspiracy theories
over Indonesian school records, Kenyan births, and so on. None of it
— absolutely none — has any real, solid evidence showing that Obama
was born anywhere else than Hawaii apart from sheer speculation and
hearsay, and even less evidence that Obama’s stepfather renounced
Obama’s birthright citizenship, which he didn’t have the power to do
anyway. It’s a conspiracy theory spun by conspiracy theorists (Philip
Berg is a 9/11 truther) who use their normal thresholds of evidence
for this meme.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court can’t kill the conspiracy theories.
It can only kill the lawsuits, which is what they will almost
certainly do tomorrow when they meet.

Update: From October 31:

The director of Hawaii’s Department of Health confirmed on Friday
what Barack Obama has been saying all along: the presidential
candidate was born in Honolulu.

“There have been numerous requests for Sen. Barack Hussein Obama’s
official birth certificate,” said Chiyome Fukino. “State law prohibits
the release of a certified birth certificate to persons who do not
have a tangible interest in the vital record.”

Citing her statutory authority to oversee and maintain Hawaii’s
vital records, Fukino said she has “personally seen and verified that
the Hawaii State Department of Health has Sen. Obama’s original birth
certificate on record in accordance with state policies and
procedures.

“No state official, including Gov. Linda Lingle, has ever
instructed that this vital record be handled in a manner different
from any other vital record in the possession of the State of Hawaii,”
Fukino added.

Update II: From the comments, a link to Donofrio’s explanation:

.. . . “Don’t be distracted by the birth certificate and Indonesia
issues. They are irrelevant to Senator Obama’s ineligibility to be
President. Since Barack Obama’s father was a Citizen of Kenya and
therefore subject to the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom at the
time of Senator Obama’s birth, then Senator Obama was a British
Citizen “at birth”, just like the Framers of the Constitution, and
therefore, even if he were to produce an original birth certificate
proving he were born on US soil, he still wouldn’t be eligible to be
President.

.. . . The Framers of the Constitution, at the time of their birth,
were also British Citizens and that’s why the Framers declared that,
while they were Citizens of the United States, they themselves were
not “natural born Citizens”.

.. . . Hence their inclusion of the grandfather clause in Article 2,
Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution: No person except a natural
born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the
Adoption of this Constitution shall be eligible to the Office of
President; That’s it right there. (Emphasis added.)

If so, this is an even dumber argument than first thought. The
children of immigrants born in this country are ineligible to be
President? Since when does “natural born” refer to the parents of
citizens? Natural born means the person at question was born in US
territory, and it always has. Immigration-enforcement activists have
been trying to change that definition to eliminate the “anchor babies”
issue.

Update IV: The Honolulu Advertiser reported on the Dept. of Health
statement on November 1 in a little more detail:

.. . . State Health Department employees continue to be barraged by
requests from people demanding to see Barack Obama’s birth
certificate, including some who have called the department’s registrar
of vital statistics at home — in the middle of the night.

.. . . “This has gotten ridiculous,” state health director Dr. Chiyome
Fukino said yesterday. “There are plenty of other, important things to
focus on, like the economy, taxes, energy.”

.. . . So, in what likely will be a vain attempt to halt the inquiries,
Fukino yesterday issued a statement saying that she and the registrar
of vital statistics personally inspected Obama’s birth certificate and
found it to be valid.

.. . . Will this be enough to quiet the doubters?

.. . . “I hope so,” Fukino said. “We need to get some work done.”

.. . . Fukino issued her statement to try to stomp out persistent
rumors that Obama was not born in Honolulu — and is therefore not a
U.S. citizen and thus ineligible to run for president.

.. . . Fukino, however, repeated the Health Department’s position that
state law prohibits her or any other officials from actually releasing
the birth certificate, which Obama’s campaign says shows he was born
in Honolulu on Aug. 4, 1961.

.. . . “There have been numerous requests for Sen. Barack Hussein
Obama’s official birth certificate,” Fukino said in the statement.
“State law (Hawai’i Revised Statutes ¤338-18) prohibits the release of
a certified birth certificate to persons who do not have a tangible
interest in the vital record. … No state official, including Gov.
Linda Lingle, has ever instructed that this vital record be handled in
a manner different from any other vital record in the possession of
the State of Hawai’i.”

I guess they’ll have to wait a little longer to get any work done.

..-=doob
..
Old December 5th 08, 04:25 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Lubow

"Doobie Keebler" wrote in message
The Chicago Tribune briefly revives the Obama-birth-certificate
kerfuffle in an update today, if only to throw more cold water on it.
Tomorrow, the Supreme Court confabs over whether to grant a review to
Leo Donofrio’s lawsuit after having it rejected in district and
appellate courts:

===============

Seems to me that if a person really wanted to see a copy of the birth
certificate, a Freedom of Information request plus the fee for copying the
document to the Senate Rules Committee should be sufficient.

Old December 5th 08, 04:42 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Doobie Keebler[_2_]

On Dec 4, 9:25 pm, "Lubow" wrote:

Seems to me that if a person really wanted to see a copy of the birth
certificate, a Freedom of Information request plus the fee for copying the
document to the Senate Rules Committee should be sufficient.

feh.

Seems to me that the statement officials of the State of Hawaii
declaring the authenticity of the birth certificate would be
sufficient.

The tin-foil hats will persist, no matter what.

Get ready to hear a lotta "ITS A CONSPIRACY !"

..-=D00B
..
Old December 5th 08, 05:31 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
John Galt[_2_]

Doobie Keebler wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:25 pm, "Lubow" wrote:

Seems to me that if a person really wanted to see a copy of the birth
certificate, a Freedom of Information request plus the fee for copying the
document to the Senate Rules Committee should be sufficient.

feh.

Seems to me that the statement officials of the State of Hawaii
declaring the authenticity of the birth certificate would be
sufficient.

One would think, especially considering the governor is a Republican. I
doubt the SCOTUS would require more than a official letter from the
State with the signatures of both the Governor and the Hawaian Sect. of
State.

JG

.

Old December 5th 08, 03:48 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Paul L[_2_]

"John Galt" wrote in message
Doobie Keebler wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:25 pm, "Lubow" wrote:

Seems to me that if a person really wanted to see a copy of the birth
certificate, a Freedom of Information request plus the fee for copying
the
document to the Senate Rules Committee should be sufficient.

feh.

Seems to me that the statement officials of the State of Hawaii
declaring the authenticity of the birth certificate would be
sufficient.

One would think, especially considering the governor is a Republican. I
doubt the SCOTUS would require more than a official letter from the State
with the signatures of both the Governor and the Hawaian Sect. of State.

JG

The tin-foil hats will persist, no matter what.

Get ready to hear a lotta "ITS A CONSPIRACY !"

.-=D00B

First, a qualifier. I have been following this story for 7 weeks and
voted for Obama and would do so again.

There is too much evidence to just throw away
the suggestion that the man is not qualified to
serve as President as outlined in the Constitution.

There are lawsuits all over the place and "one would
think" that production of a birth certificate by Obama
would have come long ago. All we've seen is a
Certification of Live Birth that Hawaii issues to citizens
that have been born outside of the USA.

It's just getting messier and messier and any one of us
in the same position would have released a certified
copy of his birth certificate ... long ago. If we
were indeed born in the States, of course.

Paul

Old December 5th 08, 04:25 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Doobie Keebler[_2_]

On Dec 5, 8:48 am, "Paul L" wrote:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

Thank you for your 'concern', Mr. Troll.

And a cheery 'Bull-****ing-****.!' upon your F.U.D.

Please.
There's no reason to believe that the State of Hawaii officials are
lying.
This is faux controversy whipped up by the Cult of the Certificate of
Live Birth.
Nut-jobs who just can't let it go.

..
..

The Cult of Barack Obama's Birth Certificate
By Tommy Christopher
Dec 3rd 2008 11:55AM
http://news.aol.com/political-machin...h-certificate/

The story of a group calling themselves the "We the People
Foundation," who are questioning the authenticity of Barack Obama's
natural-bornedness, has gotten a lot of attention this week due to
their purchase of a full-page ad demanding access to the original
birth certificate. On a related note, I am taking out a full-page ad
demanding access to Jessica Alba's sock drawer.

As it happens, my Unusable Signal co-host, Christina Cedeno, is also
the proprietor of YestoDemocracy.com, a website that has been
following this story since the dawn of time. If you have the
inclination, you can click here to see the extremely thorough research
they've done on this issue.
http://www.yestodemocracy.com/yes_to...ick_mckinnion/

Because of her familiarity with this issue, I asked Christina to weigh
in, and she graciously agreed. Here is her take on the issue.

CHRISTNIA CEDENO

With this ad . .
http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org...r-Nov-2008.pdf
.. .. running in the Chicago Tribune "respectfully requesting" that
President-Elect Obama release his original birth certificate into the
hands of anonymous internet "experts" to verify its authenticity, I
couldn't help but chuckle to myself at the instantaneous buzz
happening throughout the blogosphere. We're all such suckers for
melodramatic climax. And conspirators like "We The People Foundation"
chairman Bob Schulz are such suckers for their recognition. After
reading this brief Q&A between he and AOL's Political Machine, one
can't help but start thinking about the bigger picture of this whole
state of affairs.

Is this really about upholding The Constitution?

Or are these just pious claims made to keep a candidate that these
fringe few did not choose out of the White House?

Cue to the many who still rehash these same tired lines about
wondering who the "real" Obama is. Cue to the trite talking points
about how, if people really knew Obama, they wouldn't have voted for
him. Isn't that what this all plays to? The fear of the unknown? Who
is this man that traveled all across the country, telling stories
about his family, gas prices, an unjust war, economic collapse, and
selling "hope?"

Isn't this all about disliking a candidate so much, and going to the
ends of the earth to find the dirt to prove that there was valid
reason for detest? A reason to scream," See! Obama really was a big
old fraud!" For the few on that mind-numbing journey, I too have an
open letter:

How many memoirs does this man need to write about his adolescence,
teenage, and college years before it's believed to be his actual
story? How many times does he need to repeat the phrase, "a father
from Kenya, a mother from Kansas?" How many times does this man need
to tell America what "Barack" means before he's "known" enough? I'm
curious to why it's taken so long for those like you to "know" Barack
Obama. It seems Sarah Palin was deemed "all-American" after a 20
minute speech she gave two weeks after being thrust into the political
spotlight. Obama rigorously campaigned all over this nation for 2
years.

Let me ask, have you ever seen any other president's birth
certificate? Any other certifications of birth at all? Bush Sr., W.
Bush, Clinton, Carter, etc.. Did anyone ever get a glimpse? Why wasn't
there a crusade against these men to release their information for the
world to witness? Where were the "experts" to "examine" their birth
certificates? Couldn't they just as easily have lied?

Why aren't the words of Hawaiian officials enough? And what's to say
that the experts and officials provided by the "We The People
Foundation" would even persuade us, the majority, that they are
correct- since by your own accord officials cannot be trusted? Maybe
it's you, the cultists of the COLB that don't want it to be enough. I
mean, let's provide context, this COLB was a forgery because:

* Obama was really born in Kenya.
* His middle name is really Muhammed,
* His real name is Barry Soetoro.

No? Okay..

* The borders are wrong. It's "missing" a seal

No? Okay..

* It's really his sister's.

Suddenly when Obama's birth announcement was discovered in a Hawaii
newspaper (see it here), then:
http://www.blogcdn.com/news.aol.com/...th_anncmt2.jpg

* it didn't matter if the theories were wrong and the
certificate wasn't forged because Obama lost his citizenship when he
went to Indonesia!

Where do we draw the line? What comes after this ridiculous theory?
What other hoops lie around this bend? These are all notions that you
catered to before they were disproved. And now these disproved
"experts" want enough credibility to get their hands on the real
thing?

I don't know what's more ridiculous, the fact that these theories are
mustered up, that people buy into them, or that they get picked up by
otherwise legitimate news outlets.

This theory that the entire American Government- even the most extreme
right-wing of the political spectrum would never bother to look into/
validate Obama's eligibility, or worse, hide his ineligibility is
absolutely absurd. His presidency would go against integral portions
of their ideologue. Yet, using the conspirators logic, they were
willing to look the other way while Obama and his henchmen went to
work on "operation birth cover-up?" And just what exactly would these
right-wingers in the upper echelon of the Bush administration gain
from that?

Furthermore, to think that the Democratic Party itself would fail to
look deeply into the background of a candidate that is running to
represent their party is so idiotic that I'm running out of adjectives
to describe it! You would think, using again, conspirators logic, that
this is the first year of political races in the history of this
nation. Would the Democratic Party really risk their "brand" by hiding
a secret of this magnitude? Would they really risk losing another
election if the "secret" of Obama's illegitimacy were discovered by
anonymous "experts" on the internet that go by the nom de plumes
"Polarik" and "Techdude?" I mean, these are the cases you cite,
correct? The cases of Philip J. Berg (9-11 truther who touts Obama's
COLB to be his sister's) and Leo Donofrio, yes, they are.

The very fact that Obama has any certificate of birth online for the
entire world to look at is more transparency than any other
presidential candidate to date. And to think that people actually
believe that the most powerful political figure in the world was fool
enough to post a forged Certificate of Live Birth online for the world
to look at, when he didn't have to post anything at all, is laughable.

So from where is this "unknown" label derivative?

You know, I bet it's because he didn't repeat his life story to enough
crowds in middle America, or because he didn't put his hand over his
heart during the star-spangled banner that one time. I bet it's
because he didn't wear enough flag pins, or go to the politically
correct church. I bet it's because of his "militant" wife.

Or I bet it's the fact that some people believe everything they read
on the internet. Like stories about whitey tapes, expensive lunches,
and fancy rings, where the retractions and corrections are always a
few pages behind on google and not nearly as shiny a headline.

I guess we'll just have to wait for more of these cases to come and
go, and I'll be very happy when we the people can add your cult of the
COLB to the ever-growing list of retractions and conspiracies.

--
Christina Cedeno
Managing Editor

..
..
..
Oh SNAP!

Take that, you freakin' nut-jobs!

And, oh, by the way, SCOTUS is not "hearing the case' today.

They discuss whether or not to review the case, but IAC, no closure
for you today.\

Like it will make any difference.

After SCOTUS boots this junk, the COLB will find some other fake
outrage to rouse the rabble.

sigh

Can't we all just lock the crazy old grampa's back in the attics and
move along?

..-=d00b
..
Old December 5th 08, 04:39 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Paul L[_2_]

"Doobie Keebler" wrote in message
On Dec 5, 8:48 am, "Paul L" wrote:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

Thank you for your 'concern', Mr. Troll.

And a cheery 'Bull-****ing-****.!' upon your F.U.D.

If I cared a lot more I'd ask what in the world you are talking about.

Paul

Old December 5th 08, 05:29 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Doobie Keebler[_2_]

On Dec 5, 9:39 am, "Paul L" wrote:
"Doobie Keebler" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 8:48 am, "Paul L" wrote:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

Thank you for your 'concern', Mr. Troll.

And a cheery 'Bull-****ing-****.!' upon your F.U.D.

If I cared a lot more I'd ask what in the world you are talking about.

Paul

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

The three main tools of the Concern Troll.

in your example:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

But, of course, you knew that already.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=2649557

..-=d00b
..
Old December 5th 08, 06:02 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
Paul L[_2_]

On Dec 5, 9:39 am, "Paul L" wrote:
"Doobie Keebler" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 8:48 am, "Paul L" wrote:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

Thank you for your 'concern', Mr. Troll.

And a cheery 'Bull-****ing-****.!' upon your F.U.D.

If I cared a lot more I'd ask what in the world you are talking about.

Paul

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

The three main tools of the Concern Troll.

in your example:

There is too much evidence . .
There are lawsuits all over the place . .
It's just getting messier and messier . . .

But, of course, you knew that already.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=2649557

.-=d00b

I've posted what I think. If you care to categorize me with
a label that tidys things up for you, that is certainly your prerogative.

All I ask is that if you put me in a box, make it a big one ... with
lots of windows and perhaps a porch.

Paul

Old December 5th 08, 06:10 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-Jim

On 12/5/08 6:48 AM, in article , "Paul L"
wrote:

"John Galt" wrote in message
Doobie Keebler wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:25 pm, "Lubow" wrote:

[...]

'

Yea I agree.. Maybe his fathers race is listed as 'white' on the
certificate? I don't know but the situation back then was such that they
did a lot of stuff like that when it was race related.