£1m inheritance WOOP WOOP - what to do?

Old May 13th 18, 06:25 PM posted to uk.finance

Default £1m inheritance WOOP WOOP - what to do?

As per the title, father-in-law has passed on leaving his estate to his daughter (my wife).....it looks like the final figure after taxes is going to be approximately £1m.

Never having had ready access to that sort of money, and not prepared to pay greedy financial advisors with self-interests, where to go?

I assume a couple of properties (£700k) will get two decent four bedroomed new-build houses around here that would command £1k per month each in rent.

Is property a good investment? £24k per annum in rent for a £700k outlay is 3.5% so it seems good.

And what to do with the remaining £300k?
Old May 13th 18, 07:48 PM posted to uk.finance
tim...

wrote in message
As per the title, father-in-law has passed on leaving his estate to his
daughter (my wife).....it looks like the final figure after taxes is going
to be approximately £1m.

Never having had ready access to that sort of money, and not prepared to
pay greedy financial advisors with self-interests, where to go?

with such a large sum of money I think you ought to review this and see what
they can offer
just don't be prepared to sign up for anything in a hurry (I think you
already are in that position)

You need to understand if something that they offer preserves the capital or
if it doesn't. Sometimes they are less than clear on this.

I assume a couple of properties (£700k) will get two decent four bedroomed
new-build houses around here that would command £1k per month each in
rent.

a larger number of smaller properties:
a) gives a better yield
b) will be easier to rent
c) will better shied you from bad debts

Is property a good investment?

dunno, is it?

I've left my crystal ball behind.

£24k per annum in rent for a £700k outlay is 3.5% so it seems good.

No, it's rubbish. you need to be looking for closer to twice that.

And what to do with the remaining £300k?

well you either leave it in cash or you get a financial advisor to find you
an equity investment, there aren't really any other options (it's a lot of
work managing your own equity picks)

Old June 4th 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.finance

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 7:49:51 PM UTC+1, tim... wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

In this example "you" should read "your wife". It is her money after all, not his.

Robert

inheritance tax [email protected] UK 20 July 14th 07 09:26 PM
what to do with inheritance Sue Dyer UK 3 April 10th 07 06:32 PM
Inheritance Tax Toom Tabard UK 27 October 8th 06 10:29 PM
Inheritance Tax Kris UK 7 February 28th 05 10:34 AM
Inheritance Obviously Anon UK 20 March 12th 04 09:20 PM