Orange business crashing and burning this year

Old April 14th 19, 08:44 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
unclevito

Default Orange business crashing and burning this year

Both ranch and packing house. Glut of small navels that no one seems
to want. Tariffs preventing exports but Asians do not want small
oranges anyway.

Bought out partners and water is not an issue this year. 2020 should be
great.

Redeveloping 1/4 of our acreage to lemons. Need to get away from navels.
Old April 14th 19, 09:17 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=Dirtbag

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 12:44:14 PM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
Both ranch and packing house. Glut of small navels that no one seems
to want. Tariffs preventing exports but Asians do not want small
oranges anyway.

Bought out partners and water is not an issue this year. 2020 should be
great.

Redeveloping 1/4 of our acreage to lemons. Need to get away from navels.

Did you buy out your siblings? How did that go? Hope you got a good deal. You mentioned lemons before. How are the economics on citrus going forward? You could call Trump and thank him for your losses...
Old April 14th 19, 10:29 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
unclevito

On 4/14/2019 1:17 PM, -=DirtBag wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 12:44:14 PM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
Both ranch and packing house. Glut of small navels that no one seems
to want. Tariffs preventing exports but Asians do not want small
oranges anyway.

Bought out partners and water is not an issue this year. 2020 should be
great.

Redeveloping 1/4 of our acreage to lemons. Need to get away from navels.

Did you buy out your siblings? How did that go? Hope you got a good deal. You mentioned lemons before. How are the economics on citrus going forward? You could call Trump and thank him for your losses...

Yep. Bought out the step siblings for just over 1/2 million. They
never cared about the buisiness like we did. Pass through income is
high and we do not distribute very much so they get screwed. Luv it.
Actually Trump's new tax plan gives us a 20% deduction on pass through
income, so that is nice. Yes, would be nice if no tariffs, but small
oranges are not desired in Asia anyway. Good year to have a tariff.

Old April 15th 19, 02:57 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=Dirtbag

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:29:25 PM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
[...]

Were the oranges small this year?
Old April 15th 19, 04:06 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
unclevito

On 4/14/2019 6:57 PM, -=DirtBag wrote:
[...]

Yep. The size of baseballs (hardballs, not softballs). Picked a
bunch up on my last trip 2 days ago. Could have taken all from 20
acres of trees! 10 acres picked, 30 acres more to go. Should have
been all picked by April. Will go into May.
Old April 15th 19, 02:47 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=Dirtbag

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:06:46 PM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
[...]

Come to think of it the citrus was kinda crummy this year. My son does the shopping and I figured he was just buying the value fruit, but Yes.. The Oranges and the Pee-Wees were kinda off this year.
Old April 15th 19, 03:58 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
unclevito

On 4/15/2019 6:47 AM, -=DirtBag wrote:
[...]

That is part of the problem. Some fruit had bad taste so people quit
buying. Bet most of that fruit was from overseas (Chile, S. Africa,
Australia, Egypt) and not from CA. Those countries do not allow fruit
imports until all their local fruit is sold. US allows imports
anytime, even when they compete with US grown fruit.
Old May 4th 19, 10:59 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=Dirtbag

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 7:58:06 AM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
[...]

If it is good and sweet then Hell Yea. I don't do the shopping so I don't know what's going on. I want the refrigerator to always have apples in it and if possible, Blue Berries too. They are king anti-oxidant. Watermelon is another must have cellular cleanser. Proper diet, fasting, and basic cellular cleansing gives you an extra 15=20 years of a healthy life. Finding a good supplier of fresh fish is a real plus. Costco is pretty good for the catch of the day. I prefer Salmon. Smoked Salmon and good beer rates pretty 4-Stars in my book. We consume healthy fats and good carbs, and good Beer.
Old May 6th 19, 12:40 AM posted to misc.invest.stocks
unclevito

On 5/4/2019 2:59 PM, -=DirtBag wrote:
[...]

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise. Smoked salmon up the wazoo.

As far as orange ranch, just bought out the step siblings. Over half a
million dollars but got a big discount due to tariffs and other issues.
Will be back next year. Each year is different.
Old May 6th 19, 06:18 PM posted to misc.invest.stocks
-=Dirtbag

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 4:40:21 PM UTC-7, unclevito wrote:
[...]

Aren't you concerned about this happening again next year with the oranges? You mentioned grafting to lemons. I assume other producers are thinking the same thing. Some big decisions eh?