A Investment forum. InvestmentBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » InvestmentBanter forum » Investment newsgroups » Options
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stock Options Help?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 8th 07, 03:07 AM posted to misc.invest.options
masterlock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Stock Options Help?

I assumed from the name that this group is for trading stock options,
but I don't see a lot of posts to that effect.

Anyway, if this the right place, can someone tell me the best
brokerage site to use for getting into this? I know a bit about
trading stocks and have had some success and I would like to test out
options...

Any help would be great!



Thanks!

  #2  
Old June 8th 07, 05:47 AM posted to misc.invest.options
Ron Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 659
Default Stock Options Help?

On Jun 7, 9:07 pm, masterlock wrote:
I assumed from the name that this group is for trading stock options,
but I don't see a lot of posts to that effect.


This is the right newsgroup.

Anyway, if this the right place, can someone tell me the best
brokerage site to use for getting into this? I know a bit about
trading stocks and have had some success and I would like to test out
options...


Any broker with a reasonably low commission for options should be just
fine.

What type of option trades are you thinking of using?

--
Ron

  #3  
Old June 8th 07, 06:01 AM posted to misc.invest.options
masterlock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Stock Options Help?

What type of option trades are you thinking of using?

Well, I dont really know. I have invested in a few stocks like IBM
and AMD, so I was thinking of trying one of these, but I don't really
know enough yet to try. I just want to make an account and see if
they have a 'play' version I can test out. The whole idea that things
expire is a little nuts for me.

These are the guys I am using for stocks, but I would have no clue how
to apply that to options:
http://comprehensivetechnicals.com/?symbol=Ibm


Also, do you have to buy in 'lots'? Is there anyway to invest in
smaller blocks?



Thanks,
lock

  #4  
Old June 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to misc.invest.options
Ron Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 659
Default Stock Options Help?

On Jun 8, 12:01 am, masterlock wrote:
What type of option trades are you thinking of using?


Well, I dont really know. I have invested in a few stocks like IBM
and AMD, so I was thinking of trying one of these, but I don't really
know enough yet to try. I just want to make an account and see if
they have a 'play' version I can test out. The whole idea that things
expire is a little nuts for me.


If you hold the shares, sell some covered calls against them. For
example, you might sell the AMD Jul 15 calls for $0.40. On one
contract you will get $40 minus commissions, but will be committed to
sell the stock for $15.00 on July 20, or earlier if the price of the
stock exceeds $15.00.

These are the guys I am using for stocks, but I would have no clue how
to apply that to options:http://comprehensivetechnicals.com/?symbol=Ibm


Options don't trade frequently, so it's difficult to test strategies.

Also, do you have to buy in 'lots'? Is there anyway to invest in
smaller blocks?


Each contract covers 100 shares and you can't go smaller AFAIK. Think
of options as a way of supplementing your investment income, gaining
leverage, or reducing risk depending on your goals.

--
Ron

  #5  
Old June 15th 07, 12:21 AM posted to misc.invest.options
masterlock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Stock Options Help?

Thanks Ron! BTW, how much money can you leverage in the option world?

  #6  
Old June 15th 07, 04:57 AM posted to misc.invest.options
Ron Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 659
Default Stock Options Help?

On Jun 14, 6:21 pm, masterlock wrote:
Thanks Ron! BTW, how much money can you leverage in the option world?


I think that a factor of two is about all that is safe. For example,
COP has gone up a little over 10% per year in the last two years. If
you buy a $40 Jan 2009 leap for $40.60 at the end of one year the
stock should be about $89 making the option worth at least $49 giving
you a profit of $8.40 (a 20% profit). To get any leverage, deep in the
money LEAPs nead to be available.

--
Ron

  #7  
Old April 30th 12, 05:32 AM posted to misc.invest.options
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Stock Options Help?

greetings - i'm currently beta testing a new social trading platform that is different than anything you've tried i'm sure of it. I'm sure of it because i've been trading options for 10 years and have always wanted an easy way to collaborate with other fellow traders and learn from them, but there wasn't the perfect app out there - until now.

this thing is still in its early stages but boy does it got potential. think of it as a facebook + twitter with real time trade tracking and collaboration. i've got a small group of traders actively using it and it's looking promising. looking for a few more to join us and learn and trade in a way you've never done before!

thanks! this is not spam - i'm really just trying to find a small group of traders to join us - like 5-10 active traders.

On Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:57:00 PM UTC-7, Ron Peterson wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:21 pm, masterlock wrote:
Thanks Ron! BTW, how much money can you leverage in the option world?


I think that a factor of two is about all that is safe. For example,
COP has gone up a little over 10% per year in the last two years. If
you buy a $40 Jan 2009 leap for $40.60 at the end of one year the
stock should be about $89 making the option worth at least $49 giving
you a profit of $8.40 (a 20% profit). To get any leverage, deep in the
money LEAPs nead to be available.

--
Ron

  #8  
Old May 28th 12, 06:03 AM
stevenricherd stevenricherd is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by InvestmentBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
greetings - i'm currently beta testing a new social trading platform that is different than anything you've tried i'm sure of it. I'm sure of it because i've been trading options for 10 years and have always wanted an easy way to collaborate with other fellow traders and learn from them, but there wasn't the perfect app out there - until now.

this thing is still in its early stages but boy does it got potential. think of it as a facebook + twitter with real time trade tracking and collaboration. i've got a small group of traders actively using it and it's looking promising. looking for a few more to join us and learn and trade in a way you've never done before!

thanks! this is not spam - i'm really just trying to find a small group of traders to join us - like 5-10 active traders.

On Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:57:00 PM UTC-7, Ron Peterson wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:21 pm, masterlock wrote:
Thanks Ron! BTW, how much money can you leverage in the option world?


I think that a factor of two is about all that is safe. For example,
COP has gone up a little over 10% per year in the last two years. If
you buy a $40 Jan 2009 leap for $40.60 at the end of one year the
stock should be about $89 making the option worth at least $49 giving
you a profit of $8.40 (a 20% profit). To get any leverage, deep in the
money LEAPs nead to be available.

--
Ron
Thanks for the information, it is really good expression of the type of stock option help needed by us.
__________________
detroit bankruptcy lawyers
  #9  
Old July 28th 12, 10:14 PM posted to misc.invest.options
Mojo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Stock Options Help?

If you are new to options trading take a look at Thinkorswim.com (TD America) otherwise Interactive Brokers....

M


On Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:07:16 PM UTC-4, masterlock wrote:
I assumed from the name that this group is for trading stock options,
but I don't see a lot of posts to that effect.

Anyway, if this the right place, can someone tell me the best
brokerage site to use for getting into this? I know a bit about
trading stocks and have had some success and I would like to test out
options...

Any help would be great!



Thanks!


  #10  
Old January 4th 13, 08:46 AM posted to misc.invest.options
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Stock Options Help?

The latest report of Michael Lombardi made controversy. In fact, the predictions enclosed in that report were the main reasons. It claimed that US will suffer from a huge economic recession that will leave the conditions worse than those that resulted in 2008. Many people may disagree with this thing. In fact, all of us do feel that this is not going to happen.

To know more about stock market visit http://www.michaelombardifinancialpr...redictions.php
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
options on stock indices or stock index futures [email protected] Futures 0 August 27th 06 09:39 PM
options on stock indices or stock index futures [email protected] Options 0 August 27th 06 09:39 PM
stock buybacks and managerial stock options Jimmy Smith Stocks & shares 17 August 23rd 05 01:12 AM
Use your stock options to obtain a 90% stock HedgeLoan NewsUCanUse Options 0 March 4th 05 02:05 PM
Stock Options Out; Phantom Stock In? DaveR Stocks & shares 1 July 19th 04 07:59 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 InvestmentBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.