A Investment forum. InvestmentBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » InvestmentBanter forum » Regional » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

BEWA Fake email from buiding society



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 25th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.finance
Optimist[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.

Fortunately I did not click any of the links!
  #2  
Old October 26th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.finance
Chris in Makati
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:27:50 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.

Fortunately I did not click any of the links!


Nothing new there. Millions of emails like that get sent out every
day. I get them all time.
  #3  
Old October 26th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.finance
David Woolley[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 298
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

On 25/10/17 13:27, Optimist wrote:
I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.


You are certainly well advised to check with the security department,
but note that financial institutions are very bad about good security
practices, and may well send out material with domain's of third party
suppliers (this is or was common with online 3D security verifications).

So, don't follow a link unless the BS confirms it is safe, but don't be
entirely surprised if they do.
  #4  
Old October 27th 17, 08:38 AM posted to uk.finance
Optimist[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:02:56 +0100, David Woolley wrote:

On 25/10/17 13:27, Optimist wrote:
I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.


You are certainly well advised to check with the security department,
but note that financial institutions are very bad about good security
practices, and may well send out material with domain's of third party
suppliers (this is or was common with online 3D security verifications).

So, don't follow a link unless the BS confirms it is safe, but don't be
entirely surprised if they do.


I'm certain it was a fake as it did not address me by name. I guess that it must have got the
postcode as a result of the yahoo hack.

Your advice about links is spot on. Even when I do know the email is genuine I use the link already
bookmarked in my browser rather than trust one in the email.
  #5  
Old October 27th 17, 08:38 AM posted to uk.finance
Optimist[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:45:42 +0800, Chris in Makati wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:27:50 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.

Fortunately I did not click any of the links!


Nothing new there. Millions of emails like that get sent out every
day. I get them all time.


I do too. But this one was quite convincing because of the postcode. On the other hand it did not
address me by name which was a give-away!
  #6  
Old October 30th 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.finance
Chris in Makati
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default BEWA Fake email from buiding society

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:38:28 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:45:42 +0800, Chris in Makati wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:27:50 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

I received an email today purporting to be from the Chelsea Building Society with the subject line
"We're making some important changes". It is very professional and at first I thought it was
genuine as it correctly quoted part of my postcode.

It was addressed to my yahoo account and originated in Germany. None of the links in the email are
listed on the Chelsea Building Society website. I've forwarded the email to their security
department.

Fortunately I did not click any of the links!


Nothing new there. Millions of emails like that get sent out every
day. I get them all time.


I do too. But this one was quite convincing because of the postcode. On the other hand it did not
address me by name which was a give-away!


I missed the part where you said it included part of your postcode.
That makes it much more interesting as it looks as though they might
have connected your email address with the area you live. On the other
hand, it could have just been a lucky guess.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dale Legan....FAKE EMAIL Addresses???? truth-b-told Futures 0 June 7th 07 03:58 PM
Ratchford...Amazing Accuracy....and his new FAKE EMAIL'S.... truth-b-told Futures 1 October 19th 06 12:01 AM
Rick Ratchford FAKE EMAIL addresses..... truth-b-told Futures 0 August 10th 06 01:01 PM
Fake Abbey email doing the rounds Neaco UK 8 September 23rd 04 10:16 PM
Beware the fake Westpac email scam Vossaka Australia 1 November 25th 03 01:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 InvestmentBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.