High Income Child Benefit Charge

Old October 10th 18, 01:24 PM posted to uk.finance
Mark[_9_]

Default High Income Child Benefit Charge

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:50:58 -0000 (UTC), Andy Hawkins
wrote:

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
I have just received a letter today about the High Income Child
Benefit charge for the 2017-18 tax year. It does not make clear what
we might owe. This is the first I have heard about this tax so I
would question whether they would have the right to claw back payments
made last year.

I've had the same. The letter implies I might owe money as far back as 2012.
I think the amount I apparenty owe for last year was around £120 or so.

The letter encourages me to contact them regarding the years further back to
avoid 'penalties'...

I know! They really make you jump through hoops to do this.

I telephoned the number on the letter and they told me that the
government had introduced this tax but had not given the relevent
agencies access to the information they need. Therefore the tax
office does not know what the Child Benefit office is doing and vice
versa. The tax office decided to write to anyone who *might* be
liable for this tax and then let them sort it out.

FWIW If anyone is interested the procedure is as follows:
1. Register for self-assement tax returns on www.gov.uk
You'll need your NI number and other personal information for this.
2. Wait for them to write you a letter with your UTR ("Unique tax
reference") which you need to create an online account.
3. Fill in the self-assement form.
4. Bang you head against a wall ;-)

--
I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you: Brexit

Child benefit tim..... UK 9 January 8th 13 04:30 PM
Child benefit backpayments Homer UK 0 September 17th 11 09:06 AM
Child benefit cuts Tiddy Ogg UK 64 October 21st 10 01:43 PM
Dear Dave: pay child benefit to all regardless of income, and save apacket johnboy UK 77 July 1st 10 07:33 PM
Child Benefit Application TheScullster UK 2 May 28th 08 10:48 AM